Respondus – How do I set up a Canvas quiz with the Respondus LockDown Browser/Monitor enabled? (Instructor)
Respondus Lockdown Browser (RLDB) is a pseudo-proctoring solution in the absence of a human proctor or instructor in the room. The Monitor application uses a student's webcam to record the learner and their learning space for the duration of the exam. RLDB is installed as an LTI within Canvas. When RLDB is enabled, students are unable to search the Internet for answers, copy/paste the quiz content, record their screen, or perform other computer operations which can lead to compromised academic integrity.
Things to Note
- Once a quiz is enabled, the name of the quiz will have "Requires LockDown Browser" appended to the end of the name. Do not remove that text from the name of the quiz.
- Anyone with a Canvas role that allows them to edit quizzes can enable the Lockdown Browser for a quiz.
- Students must have a Windows or a Mac device to use the Lockdown Browser. See the Lockdown Browser system requirements
- Instructors are strongly encouraged to have a practice quiz set up in their course with which students can test their equipment set up and use Lockdown Browser prior to taking a graded quiz.
- Compose your quiz instructions to include information about the lockdown browser and where to get technical support if needed.
- RLDB is now integrated with New Quizzes. However, there are several limitations that make classic quizzes more preferable.
Before adding any Respondus technology to your Canvas course or requiring its use, please read through the information on the UW-Platteville Respondus SharePoint site.
Syllabus Notifications are REQUIRED
It is important to alert students of the use of Respondus LockDown Browser and/or Respondus Monitor in your syllabus. Confirm you have the use of the Respondus LockDown Browser and optionally Respondus Monitor noted in your syllabus. If you are implementing the LBD browser once a term is underway and the course syllabus has already been distributed, post a syllabus addendum with the Respondus LockDown Browser student information so the students are informed and the course records are accurate.
After you Enable Respondus LockDown Browser
- Confirm LockDown Browser is enabled for the desired Quiz.
- You will see the text “Requires LockDown Browser” appended to the Quiz name.
- Confirm your Canvas Quiz settings are as desired.
- Confirm an LockDown Browser Practice Quiz is set up and published in your course with the LockDown Browser enabled for it as well.
- Alert students to the practice quiz.
WARNING: Respondus Lockdown Browser only works with Classic Quizzes in Canvas. Do not use New Quizzes.
Setting up LockDown Browser for Quizzes
- Login to Canvas
- Access the LockDown Browser Dashboard by selecting RESPONDUS on the Canvas course navigation menu. A list of quizzes which have been created in the course is displayed.
- Select Settings from the context menu to the left of the quiz title.
- Under LockDown Browser settings, select Require Respondus Lockdown Browser for this exam.
- You may require that LockDown Browser be used to view quiz feedback and results as well by selecting the Require LockDown Browser to view feedback and results checkbox.
- Advanced settings here allow you to enable the use of the iPad edition. By default the setting is disabled.
- Optional: If you are using Respondus Monitor, under Monitor Webcam Settings select Require Respondus Monitor for this exam.
- Select the Save + Close button at the bottom of the page to save the LBD quiz settings and to close the settings window.
Your quiz is now configured to use Respondus LockDown Browser
RLDB + Webcam (Monitor) Setting Options
- Set up Respondus LockDown Browser for your Canvas quiz.
- To require all students use a webcam during the exam, select the radio button, “Require Respondus Monitor for this exam”
- Select any Advanced Settings (click Explain for more information on each setting)
- Select Save & Close button to save your changes
Some additional notes
- A variety of Startup-Sequence options exist, which you set to align with the preferences for your course. Note: there is a preview or an explain link accompanying each option to learn more about what the student sees or the feature itself.
- Caution: The customized Startup-Sequence is not supported with LockDown Browser for iPad; therefore, all Startup-Sequence steps will be required on iPad, regardless of the settings specified by the instructor.