Topics Map > Campus Services > Canvas
Respondus – How do I set up a Canvas quiz with the Respondus LockDown Browser/Monitor enabled? (Instructor)
Respondus Lockdown Browser (RLDB) is a pseudo-proctoring solution in the absence of a human proctor or instructor in the room. The Monitor application uses a student's webcam to record the learner and their learning space for the duration of the exam. RLDB is installed as an LTI within Canvas. When RLDB is enabled, students are unable to search the Internet for answers, copy/paste the quiz content, record their screen, or perform other computer operations which can lead to compromised academic integrity.
Things to Note
- Once a quiz is enabled, the name of the quiz will have "Requires LockDown Browser" appended to the end of the name. Do not remove that text from the name of the quiz.
- Anyone with a Canvas role that allows them to edit quizzes can enable the Lockdown Browser for a quiz.
- Students must have a Windows or a Mac device to use the Lockdown Browser. See the Lockdown Browser system requirements
- Instructors are strongly encouraged to have a practice quiz set up in their course with which students can test their equipment set up and use Lockdown Browser prior to taking a graded quiz.
- Compose your quiz instructions to include information about the lockdown browser and where to get technical support if needed.
Syllabus Notifications are REQUIRED
It is important to alert students of the use of Respondus LockDown Browser and/or Respondus Monitor in your syllabus. Confirm you have the use of the Respondus LockDown Browser and optionally Respondus Monitor noted in your syllabus. If you are implementing the LockDown browser after the start of a term and the course syllabus has already been distributed, post a syllabus addendum with the Respondus LockDown Browser student information so the students are informed and the course records are accurate.
Setting up LockDown Browser for Quizzes
Refer to the Instructor Quick Start Guide for guidance on what Respondus Lockdown Browser and Respondus Monitor do as well as how to set up quizzes.
After you Enable Respondus LockDown Browser
- Confirm LockDown Browser is enabled for the desired Quiz.
- You will see the text “Requires LockDown Browser” appended to the Quiz name.
- Confirm your Canvas Quiz settings are as desired.
- Confirm a LockDown Browser Practice Quiz is set up and published in your course with the LockDown Browser enabled for it as well.
- Alert students to the practice quiz.
WARNING: Respondus Lockdown Browser only works with Classic Quizzes in Canvas. Do not use New Quizzes.