Respondus – How do I prepare a Canvas Classic Quiz for use with Respondus Monitor? (Instructor)
It is a pseudo-proctoring solution in the absence of a human proctor or instructor in the room with learners while they are taking an exam. The Monitor application uses a student's webcam to record the learner and their learning space for the duration them taking the exam. Video and audio are captured.
Respondus Monitor is a companion application for Respondus LockDown Browser. For more information on the initial set up of the LockDown Browser for one of your Canvas classic quizzes, see Respondus - How do I set up a Canvas quiz with the Respondus LockDown Browser enabled? (Instructor).
For information on how Respondus Monitor and LockDown Browser are used at UW-Platteville, see the Respondus SharePoint site.
Things to note
- Anyone who can edit Canvas Classic Quizzes can enable Respondus Monitor for a quiz.
- Students must have
- Once a quiz is enabled with Monitor, the name of the quiz will have “Requires Respondus LockDown Browser + Webcam” appended to the end of the name. Do not remove that text from the name of the quiz.
Syllabus Notifications are REQUIRED
It is important to alert students of the use of Respondus LockDown Browser and/or Respondus Monitor in your syllabus. Confirm you have the use of the Respondus LockDown Browser and optionally Respondus Monitor noted in your syllabus. If you are implementing the LBD browser once a term is underway and the course syllabus has already been distributed, post a syllabus addendum with the Respondus LockDown Browser student information so the students are informed and the course records are accurate.
You should also set up an (ungraded) practice quiz and make it available as soon as your course starts. This will allow your students to test their equipment and make any drop/add decisions related to their comfort level with these tools.
Watch the short Preparing an Exam for Use with LockDown Browser & Respondus Monitor video. [04:49]
View the Instructor Quick Start Guide for Canvas Classic Quizzes.
RLDB + Webcam (Monitor) Setting Options
- Set up Respondus LockDown Browser for your Canvas Classic Quiz - see Respondus - How do I set up a Canvas quiz with the Respondus LockDown Browser enabled? (Instructor).
- To require all students use a webcam during the exam, select the radio button, “Require Respondus Monitor for this exam”
- Select any Advanced Settings (click Explain for more information on each setting)
- Select Save & Close button to save your changes