Topics Map > Campus Services > Classroom Technologies
OTT203 - Student Guide to Running Zoom
A guide for students taking a distance education course in Ott203 where the instructor is remote.
- Room Startup:
- If room is OFF, press touch panel to wake it up and proceed to Step 2.
- If Room is already ON – Make sure that “Software Codec VC” is up at the top center of the touch panel. If it is not, press “Home” and then select “Software Codec Videoconferencing” Proceed to step 3.
- Press “Software Codec Videoconferencing” button.
- Wait for Room to Startup.
- Press “Mic Mute” and “Device Mute” to unmute them. If they are solid red, they are MUTED.
- On the bottom of the touch panel, select “Student Camera.”
- Sign into instructor station desktop PC.
- Open an internet browser.
- Go to Canvas and sign in.
- From the “Courses” section, select your course.
- On the left-hand menu, select the “Zoom” button from within your course.
- Click on the “Join” button for the proper meeting.
- Click on “Open” when it asks if you want to use Zoom to open it.
- Select “Join with Computer Audio”.
- Make sure the “Mic” and “Video” are unmuted in Zoom. You should see the student camera when you “Start Video” and on the “Mic” portion, you should see a green audio bar moving up and down when talking.
- Maximize the Zoom window. You should now be able to see and hear the other classrooms.
When class is done, log out of the computer and press “System Shutdown” in the top right corner of the touch panel.
If you cannot hear the other participants or if they cannot hear you, please check the following:
- Make sure the touch panel audio is unmuted (see Step 4).
- Make sure Zoom is unmuted (see Step 14).
- Make sure the proper microphone and speakers are selected – both should be set to “Echo Canceling Speakerphone (Extron MediaPort200 Speakerphone)”.
If the other participants cannot see you check the following:
- “Student Camera” is selected on the touch panel.
- “Start video” is on for Zoom.
- “Extron MediaPort200” is selected as your Camera.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.