Topics Map > Campus Services > Accessibility
Topics Map > Campus Services > Multimedia
Topics Map > Campus Services > Canvas
MyMedia - Uploading Videos & Captioning
Use My Media to store videos and caption all of the media that you use in your courses. The My Media Webcam Recorder allows you to create videos within MyMedia, or you can upload existing videos from your computer files, YouTube, or Kaltura Capture or you can record them directly into My Media using Kaltura Capture.
- To access MyMedia, log into Canvas and go to Account > My Media.
- On the My Media page, go to Add New and then select Media Upload, Webcam Recorder, YouTube, or Kaltura Capture to upload or record a video and then follow the prompts on the screen. Upload will depend on bandwidth and file size.
* If you choose Media Upload or YouTube, you will be prompted to agree to the following statement: "By using this service, you agree to comply with all UW System and institution acceptable use, copyright, and harassment policies, as well as applicable state, local, and federal laws and regulations." (Note: Only public YouTube videos are supported.)
- Once your video has finished uploading, fill out the metadata for your video:
- Publishing status
- Optional Step: Captions will automatically be generated when you upload a file. However, automatic captions tend to be only about 90% accurate, and factors such as accents, highly technical terms, and noisy environments can cause lower accuracy rates. To have the TTC edit your captions so they are more accessible, click +Add Collaborator and type in UWPLT-G-Caption in the user/group field. Then select the Co-Editor option, and click Add. While this step is listed as optional, it is a step you should take to guarantee accessibility if you are using your media for instruction.
- Click Save.
- If you chose to add the UWPLT-G-Caption group as a Co-Editor, you will need to submit a Caption Request Form to create a support ticket to have the TTC edit your captions.
Note: If you have already clicked save and you decide that you want to have your media captioned by TTC, follow the instructions at Requesting Caption Services.