Topics Map > Network Connectivity
Topics Map > Security
NetID and Password - Password Requirements & Expiration
Requirements for UW-Platteville account passwords and notification process for passwords which are about to expire.
What are the requirements of my NetID password?
Your new password must meet the following requirements:
- Password is case sensitive.
- Must be at least 12 characters long.
- Must be no more than 24 characters long.
- Must include at least 1 number.
- Must not repeat any character sequentially more than 3 times.
- Must have at least 1 lowercase letter.
- Must have at least 1 uppercase letter.
- Must not include any of the following values: password test
- Must not include part of your name or user name.
- Must not include a common word or commonly used sequence of characters.
- New password may not have been used previously.
- NetID passwords will expire and must be changed every 180 days.
Notification of password expiration
An email notification will be sent to your UW-Platteville email address 10 days, 5 days, and 1 day before your password expires. The email will have a subject of "UW Platteville NetID Password Expiration Notification" and will not contain any links. This email notification will be sent until your password is changed or expires. If your password has not been changed by the expiration date, your account will be inaccessible.
Changing your password
- You are encouraged to change your password before it expires in order to avoid disruption of access to University services. Passwords can be changed anytime on Password Self Service at https://go.uwplatt.edu/passwords
- On the day your password expires you may be notified via the login window that your password has expired and you need to change it. You can update your password at this time, or use Password Self Service to change your password. You will have 6 grace logins which will allow you to change your password once it has expired.
If you allow your password to expire, and you have used all your grace logins
You can reset your password by using the Password Self Service system.
- Go to https://go.uwplatt.edu/passwords
- Enter your username and password
- Answer three challenge response questions you set up when you established your account
- Reset your password
If you are unable to answer your challenge response questions
You may call the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 and use the Help Desk questions to verify your identity. ITS staff will reset your password for you.
You may also visit the ITS Help Desk in person with your campus ID or another photo ID to have your password reset.
NOTE: ITS will never reset your password via email. We must have a way to verify your identity.
ALSO, ITS will never ask for your password in person, on the phone, or in an email. Never, ever. Seriously!
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.