ResNet - What Does ResNet Do?
The ResNet staff is responsible for providing support to ResNet users, as well as Student Housing administrative staff and the administrative staff of departments within University Centers Areas of Support
ResNet provides support for:
- Residence Hall computer labs and printers.
- Resident Director, Program Director, SA and Resident Assistants of each hall.
- Residents in each hall with computers connected to ResNet. The support provided at this level is for basic network connectivity. ResNet provides limited assistance with software and hardware for student-owned computers.
- We can issue and/or reset student passwords. We highly encourage all students to use the online Password Self-service When you receive your initial password you should go to the Password Self-service area to set your challenge and response questions. This service allows you to reset your own password.
- Damaged data ports will be replaced by the ResNet staff. Students must call ResNet at (608) 342-1990 to report damaged ports. If the port was damaged by the resident or residents of the room, there will be a repair cost of $15 applied to the student's University bill. If you do need a port replaced please assist the staff by making sure the area around the port is accessible.
- If a resoluton for the issues above cannot be reached the consultant may schedule another appointment and will document the work completed during the current appointment. Another consultant may be available to continue working on the problem.
AREAS OF SUPPORT THAT RESNET WORKS WITH ITS
- Network issues effecting part of a building, a whole building or all residence halls. In this case after doing some basic troubleshooting, we report the issue(s) to the appropriate person(s) in ITS and work with them to resolve the issues. We do not directly work with the network equipment or or services. We can only relay the reported issues and relay back to students when an issue has been resolved.
- Non-University network services such as Hotmail, MSN Messaging service, etc. We do not have the ability to resolve any issues with non-University services. We will assist students with basic troubleshooting using these services, however if it is determined the problem lies with the service itself, we can only notify students when the service is working again.
- University services such as email, PeopleSoft, network storage access. If a student is having problems accessing these services we will do basic troubleshooting and report the issue(s) to ITS. These systems are maintained by ITS and we work with them to coordinate support issues/resolutions.
FEE BASED SERVICES PROVIDED BY RESNET
SPYWARE/VIRUS REMOVAL, OPERATING SYSTEM INSTALL, HARDWARE INSTALL, AND DATA BACKUP.
- Most services will only be billed for the first hour.
- Fees will be billed to the students University account. Payment's will go to the Cashier's Office.
- Students must be present in their room while ResNet staff are present.
- ResNet staff are not allowed to work on components inside the computer.
- Prior to coming out to the hall ResNet staff will call to confirm the student is in their room.
- If the student is not present ResNet staff may (a) cancel the appointment or (b) go to the student's room to attempt to keep the appointment. If a student cannot be contacted or is a 'no show' ResNet will not attempt to re-schedule for at least 2 business days. We appreciate your cooperation with this policy as there are 2000+ students with computers who use ResNet services.
- ResNet staff will do their best to resolve problems in a timely manner. Please remember that the staff are also students and may have to leave before a resolution has been reached to attend classes.
- If a resoluton cannot be reached the consultant may schedule another appointment and will document the work completed during the current appointment. Another consultant may be available to continue working on the problem.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.