Turnitin - How to add Turnitin to a Canvas assignment (Instructor)
Turnitin.com and the Turnitin Originality Checker in Canvas allow instructors to check student-submitted assignments against a database of existing journals, books and other written materials (both published and submitted by students)
Turnitin's Similarity Report (formerly called the Originality Checker) is integrated into Canvas as an external tool. By integrating this tool with any Canvas assignment an originality report is generated for each student submission.
Turnitin should be added to the assignment when you create it; however, if an assignment does not yet have any submissions, you can edit the assignment and add Turnitin.
Set up a Canvas Assignment to use Turnitin Originality Checker
- Navigate to Assignments in Canvas or add an Assignment to a Canvas Module
- Select +Assignment and edit the Assignment
- Name the assignment and add assignment details
- For Submission Type, choose External Tool
- In the External Tool window that appears, enter the search term Turnitin and click Find.
- In the Configuration External Tool window that appears, search for and select Turnitn LTI.
- Check "Load This Tool In A New Tab" (The Plagiarism Framework option will no longer be visible in the assignment settings)
- Click Save (wait to publish)
- Open the assignment and click “Load [assignment name] in a new window."
- Click on the Setting icon to complete the Turnitin settings
- See Turnitin instructions for Basic Assignment Settings and Optional Settings
For an LTI Instructors guide index, please see this resource: Canvas LTI - Instructor Categories (turnitin.com)Interpreting the Similarity Report