Topics Map > Campus Services > Canvas
Canvas - Crosslisting a course
Crosslist multiple sections of a Canvas course to manage one primary instructional course space. This process may be useful to instructors who teach multiple course sections of the same course who want to combine enrollments into one Canvas course.
Things to note:
- Instructor must be a teacher in all sections you wish to cross-list
- Must choose one of the courses to be the "Primary" course into which all other sections will be cross-listed
- Typically, the lowest section number will be the "Primary" course
- After cross-listing is complete, teachers and students will only see the "Primary" course site on their Canvas dashboard
Before you Cross-list
- Cross-listing should take place before you copy your Master course to the instructional course. It should also take place before the course site is published and before any grades are entered in Canvas.
- Determine which course section will be your "Primary" course and which section(s) will be the "Secondary" course(s) cross-listed to the "Primary" course.
- Write down the course codes and identifying section numbers so that you can accurately identify Primary and Secondary courses.
- There are FERPA rules that must be considered when you make it possible for students to see students who are in a section other than the course section they are enrolled in.
- For ways to mitigate this risk when you are crosslisting courses, see Canvas Crosslisting and FERPA
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CROSS-LISTING IN CANVAS
Start in the SECONDARY course that you want to Cross-list to the PRIMARY course
- Click on the Settings button at the bottom of the course menu
- Click on the Sections tab at the top of the page
- Under the Course Sections list, click on the course name displayed
- Click the button that says Cross-list this Section
- In the pop-up window, enter the Primary Course ID into the Search for Course field.
- Confirm that the selected course is correct.
- Click Cross-List This Section