Topics Map > Campus Services > Canvas
Canvas: Outcomes - Assessing with Rubrics
After adding outcomes to a course, it is possible to align those outcomes with assignments, quizzes or discussions, which can be graded with SpeedGrader.
After an outcome rubric has been added to an assignment, it is possible to use SpeedGrader to assess student achievement of the outcome. Rubrics can be used to provide the points for a particular assignment or the instructor can manually add the points.
Using Outcome Rubrics to Provide Assignment Points Grade
1. Navigate to the assignment through Modules or through the Assignments list. Choose the assignment and at the top right, select "Edit."
2. Scroll to the "Points" textbox and enter the number of points that corresponds to the rubric points.
3. Scroll down, then hit "Save."
4. Next, we must make sure the rubric is able to be used for grading, to do that, scroll down to the attached rubric.
5. In the top right corner of the rubric, select the pencil or edit button to edit the Rubric settings.
6. Scroll down, check the box that reads, "Use this rubric for assignment grading."
7. Then, hit "Update rubric."
Assessing the Assignment with the Outcome Rubric
1. In the desired assignment, on the upper right, click "SpeedGrader."
2. On the right side, click "View Rubric."
3. When the rubric appears, grade the assignment using the rubric. Click in the box in each line of the rubric that indicates the score you assess the student.
4. When done grading the rubric, it should show a number of points at the bottom.
5. When you click Save, the points should populate the student grade box outside of the rubric. If it does not seem to populate this automatically, check to be sure you have set up your rubric for assignment grading.
6. If you would like to provide any specific comments to the student, you may enter them in the associated box and click "Submit." The submit button is only necessary if you have provided comments. You need only save the scoring rubric when you have completed the assessment to populate the student score.
Note: the student's grade should appear at the top of the page in the blue header.
8. At the top right of the page, click the left or right arrows to move onto the next submission.
If you have questions, please contact the TTC at 608.342.1798 or email@example.com