Topics Map > Campus Services > Web
Dashboard - My URL Shortener (Creating a shortened link)
UW-Platteville maintains its own ULR shortener, similar to services like bit.ly. The purpose of the URL Shortener is to provide easy-to-remember links for print materials. Shortened links work well for URLs that change often, maintaining consistency.
To create a shortened link
- Go to https://dashboard.uwplatt.edu/admin/my-shortener
- Login using your NETID and password.
- Enter in your link in the "Link URL" field and click Shorten.
This will produce a link for you to use with a random string at the end. (https://go.uwplatt.edu/5i23rmkw)
- Your links will appear in two places in the list.
- At the top of the list in green with any links that were created that day.
- In the bottom part of the listing with all of your links are listed in alphabetical order by short url.
- You can click the Edit link to manage the URL location, delete the link, or manage share access. ( You cannot manage URLs created by other people unless they Share their links with you)
Note: Your links will need to be renewed on an annual basis. You will receive an email 30 days, 10 days and 1 day prior to the links expiration.
- To renew a link, click ## day to renew link next to the link. It will be renewed for another year.
To create a customized URL
- Enter in your link to the "Link URL" field and click Link Options.
- Add your customized URL and click Shorten.
Note: Custom link names are only available if they have not been taken by another person. If you feel your url was taken, please submit a request
Links must be renewed on a yearly basis. Email notifications will be sent out 30 days, 10 days and 1 day prior to the links expiration. After Expiration of a link, it will be recoverable for the following 30 days by the owner or anyone who it is shared with. After the 30 days the link will be deleted from the system and need to be recreated.Links listed in the A to Z will also be removed with the Go link.
To reactivate an expired link, click Restore
- This URL Shortener is only available to employees of UW-Platteville and is not available to students at this time.
- The links created are monitored by Marketing and ITS and are subject for review.
- If links created are thought to be inappropriate, they will be deleted without notice and may result in a report to the supervisor of the person who created them.