Topics Map > Campus Services > Web
Dashboard - My URL Shortener: Creating a shortened link
UW-Platteville maintains its own ULR shortener, similar to services like bit.ly. The purpose of the URL Shortener is to provide easy-to-remember links for print materials. Shortened links work well for URLs that change often, maintaining consistency.
To create a shortened link
- Go to https://dashboard.uwplatt.edu/admin/my-shortener
- Login using your NETID and password.
- Enter in your link in the "Link URL" field and click Shorten.
This will produce a link for you to use with a random string at the end. (https://go.uwplatt.edu/5i23rmkw)
- Your links will appear in two places in the list.
- At the top of the list in green with any links that were created that day.
- In the bottom part of the listing with all of your links are listed in alphabetical order by short url.
- You can click the Edit link to manage the URL location, delete the link, or manage share access. ( You cannot manage URLs created by other people unless they Share their links with you)
Note: Your links will need to be renewed on an annual basis. You will receive an email 30 days, 10 days and 1 day prior to the links expiration.
- To renew a link, click ## day to renew link next to the link. It will be renewed for another year.
To create a customized URL
- Enter in your link to the "Link URL" field and click Link Options.
- Add your customized URL and click Shorten.
Note: Custom link names are only available if they have not been taken by another person. If you feel your url was taken, please submit a request
- This URL Shortener is only available to employees of UW-Platteville and is not available to students at this time.
- The links created are monitored by Marketing and ITS and are subject for review.
- If links created are thought to be inappropriate, they will be deleted without notice and may result in a report to the supervisor of the person who created them.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.