Policy: Student Employment Policy and Procedure Manual

University Policy: Human Resources

Table of Contents

  • Introduction
  • Types of Student Employment
  • Campus Policy Governing Eligibility for Student Employment
  • Financial Aid and Student Employment Eligibility
  • Conditions of Employment
  • Wage Rates
  • Lump Sum Payments
  • Wage Increases
  • Termination of a Student's Employment
  • International Students
  • Work Authorizations
  • Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
  • Time Entry
  • Hours of Work Allowed
  • Internships and Co-ops
  • Nepotism
  • Affirmative Action Guidelines
  • Policy on Drug Free Work Place for Student Employees
  • Federal Work-Study Conditions of Employment and Limitations
  • Miscellaneous



The University of Wisconsin-Platteville employs students on two types of payroll: the Federal Work-Study Program and Regular Student Employment. This handbook sets forth the University of Wisconsin-Platteville’s operational policies and procedures for employment of students through these defined programs.

The purpose of student employment is to stimulate and promote the part-time employment of students who need earnings from such employment to help meet their cost of attendance. Through student employment the university can help maximize its financial assistance to students and at the same time benefit from the services performed by those students.

Employers should remain aware that student employment is an integral part of the student’s education. Properly trained student employees will in the near future become highly marketable alumni. This is the type of outreach program and high impact practice that carries with it lasting, beneficial economic results for the student, university and the community.

The Financial Aid Office has general administrative authority over student employment, determines student eligibility to work, and initiates the forms to place students on payroll. This office also verifies state and federal compliance towards affirmative action and equal opportunity guidelines, monitors for equitable wage rates, ensures appropriate earning conditions and restrictions are maintained, and reviews university records to ensure that students maintain proper credit loads. This office is delegated the authority to terminate employment of students in instances of program abuse.

A full list of student employment opportunities are available on the On-Line Job Board available on the Financial Aid website.

Types of Student Employment

Federal Work-Study:

Federal Work-Study is one of the Title IV federal financial aid programs, which consists of funds given to the educational institution to help create jobs. A qualified student is allocated an amount of money that the student can earn during the academic year. In order to qualify for this program, the student must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine need.

Regular Employment:

Regular Student Employment is a type of student employment that is not based on the financial need determined by the student’s completed FAFSA application. 


Academic Year:

Any student taking six (6) credits or more per semester may work under the student employment program during the academic year. If a student drops below six credits that student must terminate all jobs on the student employment payroll.

A student who attends the fall semester but is not returning the following spring semester must terminate student employment the last day of the fall semester.


Students must meet one (1) of the following criteria to be eligible to work on campus during the summer months:

  1. Enrolled in the spring and returning in the fall, OR not enrolled in the spring but accepted for the fall semester.
  2. Enrolled in the spring, graduating in August—student may work on campus from the end of the spring semester through the last week of the summer session if enrolled for at least three (3) credits in the summer (includes work-study, if eligible).
  3. Enrolled in the spring, not returning in the fall—if student registered and paid for at least three (3) credits for summer session, may work on regular student employment from the end of the spring semester through the last week of the summer session.
  4. Not enrolled in the spring and not attending in the fall, however, attending the summer session—if the student has registered and paid for three (3) credits, that student may work on regular student employment from the end of the spring semester through the last week of the summer session.
Note: Once a student has been dismissed, graduated, or for any reason is not returning to the University of Wisconsin-Platteville for the following regular session, that student is no longer considered a University of Wisconsin-Platteville student and is not eligible for student employment. It is the supervisors’ responsibility to monitor this for student employees in their department.


Students who do not receive financial aid from the federally funded student aid programs are eligible to work under regular (state funded) employment only, with no limitations on the amount the students can earn. Regular student employment is not given on the basis of need and is, therefore, not considered a financial aid award, but as income.

Only students who apply for and are awarded Federal Work-Study can work under the Federal Work-Study Program. The amount the student can earn from Federal Work-Study Program is limited to the amount of that student’s allotment. Under the university payroll system, the student’s work-study allotment will automatically change to regular student employment once the student’s work-study allotment is earned.

Students working under work study or regular employment will receive their work authorization from their supervisor and will turn in to the Financial Aid office.  Either authorization must be completed by the student, employer, and Financial Aid Office before the student may begin working.

Students may complete a financial aid application at any time during the year for a determination of eligibility for the Federal Work-Study Program. Actual awards depend on the financial need of the student and the availability of funds.


Employer Responsibilities:

  • The departmental employer is responsible for ensuring all student employees work under reasonable conditions and are properly supervised. The employer is responsible for the training and supervision of student employees according to acceptable office procedures.
  • The employer must complete the “Hiring Department Section” of the work authorization form for the student and remind the student to return the completed work authorization to the Financial Aid Office in a timely manner. The work authorization must be completed and delivered to the Financial Aid Office prior to the student beginning employment.
  • Departments are expected to assist those students who have work-study allotments to “pace” themselves throughout the year. It is the responsibility of the student’s supervisor in conjunction with the student to monitor the hours the student works and the amount the student is earning.
  • Wages paid to students through the Federal Work-Study Program must remain within the student’s work-study allotment. Once a student has reached the work-study allotment, earnings will automatically be taken from regular funds unless the student’s work authorization is canceled. Work authorizations are canceled for off-campus work-study student employees once the student has reached the work-study allotment. The off-campus organization will be responsible for any earnings over the allotment indicated on the work authorization.
  • The purpose of student employment is to meet the general public good of the university. In no case may a university employer receive personal benefit or gain from the services of the student employees. In no case may a student be paid for receiving instruction in a classroom, laboratory, or other academic setting.
  • Regulatory provisions do not prohibit a student from being employed at more than one location on campus. If a student has a work-study allotment and the department schedules the student to earn the entire allotment during the academic year, the departmental supervisor should discuss the ramification of other jobs with the student employee. Departments may impose conditions or terms of employment prohibiting dual jobs, providing students have reasonable capability of reaching their work-study allotments.
  • The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, as amended, prohibit institutions from accepting voluntary services from any paid employee. Therefore, any student who is employed must be paid for all hours worked.
  • Student employee benefits include coverage under the Worker’s Compensation Law. This allows for payment of medical expenses and/or lost wages resulting from an illness or injury by reason of his/her work. All accidents must be reported on the appropriate form to the Workers’ Compensation Coordinator in the Payroll Office within 24 hours.

Student Responsibilities:

  • The student must obtain a work authorization. Students will obtain a work authorization from their hiring supervisor and will turn that into the Financial Aid Office
  • It is the responsibility of the student in conjunction with the student’s supervisor to monitor the hours the student works and the amount the student is earning. Wages paid to work-study students must remain within the work-study allotment indicated on the student work authorization. Any questions regarding work-study allotments can be directed to the Financial Aid Office
  • If the student cannot for any reason work when scheduled, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the supervisor in a timely manner.
  • The student must report time worked honestly and accurately.
  • Student employees should conduct themselves in a professional manner while on the job. This includes appropriate dress, telephone etiquette, courtesy when meeting the public and conscientious performance of assigned tasks.


On-campus employers are required to pay all student employees at least the Federal minimum wage. Employers are asked to follow the Student Employment Wage Guidelines for rates above the Federal minimum wage. The Student Payroll Wage Increase Form is available online on the Financial Aid webpage.

Lump Sum Payments

All student workers shall be paid on an hourly basis and hours of service shall be tracked accordingly. Any exceptions must be pre-approved by the Student Employment Office in Financial Aid. If services are compensated on a lump sum basis, Institutions have a method to record hours worked per week and hours must be entered into the payroll system at the time payment is submitted for the lump sum payment. Students must earn at least minimum wage. If actual hours of work are not entered into the system, the student worker will be credited with eight (8) hours of service for each day on payroll.

Wage Increases

Wage increases may only be given during the following time frames:

  • August/September
  • January/February
  • May/June (If working summer)

Minimum of .10 increase must be given and maximum of .50

Any wage increase causing a title change must be done by completing a new work authorization.

A wage increase may be given to a student who has performed well in their position and/or  after a student has worked a semester or its equivalent. A wage increase must be supported by a Performance Evaluation.

Wage increase may not exceed the salary range for the student's current position description.

The Wage Guidelines are available on the Financial Aid webpage under Student Employment as well as the Human Resources Payroll Information webpage.


When an employee is consistently tardy, absent, or does not perform specified tasks satisfactorily, the employing department has a right to terminate that student’s employment. First, however, every effort should be made to counsel the employee and offer the opportunity to improve.

Should the employee not heed the warnings, the department should notify the student that the student is not being retained. The student may then be referred to the Student Employment Office/Financial Aid Office to seek out another employment opportunity.

Criminal acts, such as theft, may be cause for immediate dismissal of a student employee.

Employers must keep accurate records of any activities involved in the dismissal of a student employee. 


International students with an F1 (Foreign Student) Visa may have one or more employment opportunities on campus. However, international students are limited to working 20 hours for all jobs during any week when class is in session. Summer session is determined by the student’s individual class schedule. International students may work 40 hours during any breaks, such as the break between the academic year semesters or spring break. International students having a graduate assistantship can only work hourly jobs if the combination of hours does not exceed the 20 hours per week when school is in session. For additional information regarding International Student employment, please contact the International Student Advisor on campus.

Please see the International Student Web Page for directions for International Students on all of the procedures for getting hired on campus. They should report first to the Social Security Office in Lancaster with a Letter of Hire – details for letter in link above - from their Supervisor (printed on department letterhead) to obtain a Social Security Card (if they don’t have one already).    They should take all of their personal legal documents with them for verification.

Next, student employees should take the letter they get from the Social Security Office to Human Resources, 2300 Ullsvik Hall along with:

1. Work Authorization
2. Passport/VISA
3. Student ID Card 4. Printout of Valid I-94 Form
5. Valid I-20 (First Page) or DS-2019
6. Direct Deposit Form (can be completed at Human Resources)
7. Hire Letter from Department 
8. I-9 Form (Received from Human Resources and MUST be completed in person)

**An email will be sent by Glacier to the student employee and the student will need to complete that right away.   This will take care of their taxes.   Once a confirmation is received by student from Glacier, student should take that information to Human Resources.     Once the actual Social Security card is received by International Student, they should sign it and take it to Financial Aid in Brigham Hall, so a copy of it can be made.  The Student Payroll Office in Financial Aid will add their Social Security number to the student’s record in HRS.   International student can now begin work.  They will not have access to the UW Portal until the day after the card is received at Financial Aid.


Once a student is determined eligible to work on campus and has been selected to be employed by the hiring department, the student is required to obtain a work authorization. All student employees will receive work authorization from their hiring supervisor.  They are to bring the work authorization to the Financial Aid Office and complete any additional paperwork.  Financial Aid will scan the paperwork and send original copies to Human Resources.  

All student employees are required to supply the Payroll Office with copies of their social security cards. Whenever there are changes in name, address, exemption, or status, the student must complete and submit a new W-4 form. The student may not begin work and will not be paid until the work authorization form and any additional paperwork required is on file in the Payroll Office.

Note: Students under 18 years of age must obtain a work permit and other documentation in order to be employed on campus. See the Payroll Office for further information.

It is imperative that the employers and the student employees adhere to the work-study allotment indicated on the work authorization, as well as the departmental budget and allotment. The Financial Aid Office may not be able to increase a student’s work-study allotment once he/she has reached his/her maximum. In addition, any changes made to the student’s work-study allotment will be conveyed to the student. It is the responsibility of the student to inform his/her supervisor of any changes in his/her work-study allotment.

Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 is a law written to insure that only American citizens and eligible aliens are authorized to work in the United State of America. This includes students working on the University of Wisconsin-Platteville student payroll, both Federal Work-Study and Regular Student Employment.

It is the responsibility of the Human Resource Office to monitor this law as it pertains to student employees.

Student employees must complete a document called the Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9), which also requires specific forms of identification.   The necessary documentation to complete the I-9 is listed on the form.  This documentation must be photocopied and attached to the completed I-9 form.  Students may not begin working until the I-9 form and the work authorization are completed.

If a student cannot or will not provide the Financial Aid Office with the necessary documents needed to complete Form I-9, then the student forfeits any employment opportunities with the Federal Work-Study Program or Regular Student Employment. 

Time Entry

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville campus uses a web based time system for hourly student employees. Student supervisors are responsible for information on the procedures for student time entry. Information on pay dates and direct deposit information for students are available in the Payroll Office. Hourly students are paid on a bi-weekly basis. Student payment is directly deposited into the student’s selected financial account. Employers and student employees should both keep a daily log of hours worked. The supervisor will approve the time worked at the end of each pay period. 

Hours of Work Allowed

During the academic year, students cannot work more than 25 hours per week.  If a student works for more than one supervisor, the student is required to inform both supervisors to insure the student does not go beyond the allowable hours.  If the student does not inform both supervisors and exceeds 25 hours disciplinary action, including termination may occur.  Students will not receive more than 1 warning.  Students and supervisors are asked to carefully monitor the hours worked. Students may be offered additional hours during breaks and summer, but never more than 40 hours, for 89 consecutive days.  Under extreme circumstances, if an overtime situation does occur the University will pay in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).  Students must be advised not to work more than 40 hours when employed by two or more departments during breaks or summer. The primary position that employs the student will be charged for any hours exceeding 40 hours.

Federal regulations limit international students to 20 hours per week (total for all employment) while school is in session.


Students with questions regarding internships and co-ops should contact the supervising department for more information.


From the Wisconsin Administrative Code: Code of Ethics ER-Pers 24.04-Standard Conduct:

No employee shall effectively recommend or decide to hire or promote another person when the person affected is a member of the employee’s immediate family unless certified from an open or promotional register. 


Departments seeking student employees are required by law to ensure that all eligible applicants have reasonable access to vacancies. To provide assurance that the campus complies with affirmative action and equal opportunity requirements, all campus jobs must be advertised unless the position is filled by a student who held the position the previous academic year.

Employers have fulfilled the Affirmative Action requirement by listing their openings with the Student Employment Office/Financial Aid Office. To advertise student employment, the employer must complete the submit to job to job board page, which is located on the Financial Aid Office webpage


Congress enacted the 1988 Federal Drug-Free Work Place Act, which places certain responsibilities on the University of Wisconsin-Platteville as the recipient of federal grants and contracts. Pursuant to the federal requirements and in keeping with current university policy, all University of Wisconsin-Platteville student employees are reminded that university rules, policies and practices prohibit the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession or use of controlled substances on all university property, worksite or during work time.  Student employees who are found in violation may be referred to counseling or treatment, and may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including loss of employment.

Student employees who are convicted of any criminal drug statute violation occurring in the workplace must notify their supervisor within five days of the conviction if they are employed by the university at the time of conviction.

Students who have problems with alcohol or controlled substances are encouraged to voluntarily contact the Dean of Students Office or University Counseling Services for assistance and additional referral. Voluntary contacts with the Dean of Students Office personnel or University Counseling Services may remain confidential. The UW-Platteville Dean of Students Office is located in suite 2300 of the Markee Pioneer Student Center, and the telephone number is 608-342-1854.  University Counseling Services is located in 220 Royce Hall and the telephone number is 608-342-1865.

Federal Work-Study Conditions of Employment and Limitations

From IFAP, FWS Conditions of Employment and Limitations, 34 CFR 675.20(c):

  • All FWS work, whether on campus or off campus, has certain conditions and limitations.
  • FWS employment must not displace employees (including those on strike) or impair existing service contracts.
  • FWS positions must not involve constructing, operating, or maintaining any part of a building used for religious worship or sectarian instruction.
    • For example, if the part of the facility in which the student will work is used for religious worship or sectarian instruction, the work cannot involve construction, operation, or maintenance responsibilities.
  • Neither a school nor an outside employer that has an agreement with the school to hire FWS students may solicit, accept, or permit the soliciting of a fee, commission, contribution, or gift as a condition for a student’s FWS employment.


The policies and procedures set forth in the University of Wisconsin-Platteville Student Employment Policy and Procedure Manual may be subject to change without notice.

Failure to abide by policies may result in loss of student employment and loss of work-study allotment for the student involved.

Any questions regarding work-study policies and procedures may be directed to the Financial Aid Office.

Keywords:Human resources, policy, student employment and procedure manual, student employee, student worker   Doc ID:98775
Owner:Sarah V.Group:UW Platt Admin Services
Created:2020-03-12 13:11 CDTUpdated:2021-08-24 10:44 CDT
Sites:UW Platt Admin Services
Feedback:  0   1