Policy: Reimbursement of Tuition and Fees for Job-Related Coursework and Training
University Policy: Human Resources
The university-wide program has been suspended due to budget constraints. Employees are encouraged to speak with their direct supervisor regarding the possibility of department/division support.
- Applications for tuition reimbursement must be submitted through the appropriate administrative review and approval process and must be received in the Office of the Provost at least two weeks prior to the term the course will be taken. Under no circumstances will a tuition/fee reimbursement request be honored in a retroactive manner. Application forms are available in the provost’s office.
- Applications are evaluated for appropriateness under the criteria of UW System Administrative Policy 210.
- Employee or employer requests which meet the applicable criteria are funded at up to 100% of the academic fees. Costs of textbooks, segregated fees, and class material are not normally reimbursed. A receipt verifying payment of academic fees and evidence of course completion (usually a copy of the grade report) must be submitted to the vice chancellor's office within 30 days of the end of the term. Submissions after the deadline will not be reimbursed. Reimbursement is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the coursework.
- The program is available only to employees who hold half-time or greater appointments.
- Normally, no more than one course (up to 5 credits) may be authorized for reimbursement for an academic term (semester).
- Tuition reimbursement for coursework must be reported as taxable income.
Request for Authorization to Reimburse Employee's Fee/Tuition
Last updated 8/18/20