ITS Alert: Active spear phishing campaign spoofs Chancellor Shields, Dr. Susan Hansen, Paige Smith
Posted: 12:38:58, Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 Expiration: 12:38:58, Thursday, Feb 28, 2019
The ITS Help Desk has received numerous reports of a spear phishing messages that claim either Chancellor Shields, Dr. Susan Hansen, or Paige Smith has “a request I need you to handle immediately” and then asks you to "confirm your availability" by responding.
If you have received an email from any of these people titled, “FW: required”, please delete. Do not respond.
- Chancellor Dennis Shields
- Dr. Susan Hansen, interim associate vice chancellor for the Provost
- Paige Smith, Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services
If you receive this message from any other account, please report it immediately to the ITS Help Desk at email@example.com.
- Video: Phishing at UW-Platteville
- Annotated samples of real-life phishing attempts in the ITS Knowledge Base
If you have questions about this attack or information security on campus, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
-- UW Platteville: Deb Meyer
Created: 00:41:10, Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 (by Deb M.)
Updated: 14:42:34, Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 (by Deb M.)