ITS Alert: Phishing attempt claims to offer personal assistant job 12.07.21
Posted: 13:03:04, Tuesday, Dec 7, 2021 Expiration: 14:05:13, Sunday, Dec 12, 2021
An email allegedly coming from the uwplatt account of "Debra S Knautz" is circulating widely. This "Position" email claims to offer a "work from home" job where you can earn $800 a week. It asks you to provide a "non edu email address along with a cell #". This is a scam. Never provide your personal information to a stranger without verifying the situation first.
Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it is probably not true. Several other things to notice in this attempt:
- The message does not include a signature.
- University account holders may not use their uwplatt accounts to run a business; it is against the Acceptable Use Policy.
- The Reply to address (if you looked) does not match the sender--and good, if you didn't look!
- Student jobs are posted to Handshake, not send out to everyone by individuals.
So, what do you do?
- If you have received this "Position" from "Debra S Knautz", please DELETE.
- If you receive a similar message from another sender, please FORWARD the message to the ITS Help Desk at email@example.com.
- If you received this message and responded to it, please CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD, and contact the ITS Help Desk for more information.
If you receive any suspicious email in your uwplatt account, please forward it to the ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Help Desk staff is responsible for documenting these incidents, determining the breadth of the attack, and when possible, taking steps to mitigate the risk. If you do not have time to report a message, simply delete it.
Not sure what to look for in a phishing message? Check out our real-life examples, complete with notations, in this ITS Knowledge Base at https://go.uwplatt.edu/phish
-- UW Platteville: Deb Meyer
Created: 07:04:28, Tuesday, Dec 7, 2021 (by Deb M.)
Updated: 14:05:14, Sunday, Dec 12, 2021 (by Deb M.)