ITS Maintenance Outage: CHANGE - storage/SHARED1 migration Dec. 28
Posted: 13:01:15, Monday, Dec 21, 2015 Expiration: 11:32:11, Monday, Dec 28, 2015
The storage migration scheduled for next week is on track. However, in order to minimize the time SHARED1 is read-only, the migration schedule has been modified:
- Current SHARED1 will be fully accessible until 6:00 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 28 (vs. 5:00 as originally planned)
- SHARED 1 will be totally unavailable from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
- NEW SHARED1 will be online at 7:00 p.m. Monday, Dec. 28* with migration to continue as long as necessary; targeted completion 7:00 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 4.
*Because it is possible that some files may still be copying to the new server at 7:00 on December 28, we are recommending that those who plan to use SHARED1 files between 6:00 p.m. on December 28 and 7:00 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 4 save copies to another location BEFORE the process begins at 6:00 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 28.
Saving out of SHARED1
- Open file from SHARED1 as you normally would.
- Go to File > Save as and select an alternate location, e.g. USER1 (J-drive)
- Files can also be saved to OneDrive (if appropriate) or to a portable storage device, e.g. a jump drive
- As always, saving to your local drive (C:/) is not recommended.
- Work on the file, saving changes as you go.
- NOTE: It IS possible that multiple people could access and save the same document in separate locations and make simultaneous but different changes. If you think this may be a problem, consult with your colleagues beforehand.
Saving back to SHARED1
- When SHARED1 is read-write accessible again (target: 7:00 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 28), open the file from its temporary location.
- Go to File > Save as and select the desired location on the SHARED1 drive. You will have the opportunity to replace the old version or save with a new name.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com.
-- UW Platteville: Deb Meyer
Created: 07:04:14, Monday, Dec 21, 2015 (by Deb M.)
Updated: 11:32:12, Monday, Dec 28, 2015 (by Deb M.)