ITS Alert: Phishing attempt asks you to upgrade your account space 03.14.17 (UPDATED 03.15.17)
Posted: 08:54:04, Wednesday, Mar 15, 2017 Expiration: 08:54:04, Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017
UPDATE 12:06PM March 15, 2017: The ITS Help Desk has received reports of at least two phishing attempts that appear to come from the uwplatt account of Samuel H. Revier. The messages are different but the link is the same.
- Subject: Dear Student/Staff (3/14) - Warns you that your account "has been login [sic] in different IP and browser". You are then instructed to "CLICK HERE" to re-set your account space.
- Subject: Upgarde [sic] Account (3/15) - Warns you "your mailbox has exceeds [sic] its storage limit". You are instructed to "CLICK HERE" to activate.
- If you receive either of these messages from "Samuel H. Revier", please DELETE immediately.
- If you receive either of these messages from someone else, please REPORT it to the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com.
- If you clicked on either link and logged in, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD IMMEDIATELY and contact the ITS Help Desk.
How can I tell if a message is not legit?We've mocked up real-life examples in the ITS Knowledge Base, including today's attempt.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.
-- UW Platteville: Deb Meyer
Created: 03:57:23, Wednesday, Mar 15, 2017 (by Deb M.)
Updated: 12:08:57, Wednesday, Mar 15, 2017 (by Deb M.)