Security - Generating and Using Duo Self-Service Backup Codes
Instructions for generating a list of one-time-use Duo backup codes for those times when your primary device is not available and steps for using those codes.
About Duo backup codes
- Backup codes will never expire.
- Backup codes cannot be shared with others.
- You will get 10 codes at a time.
- Each code is one-time-use only.
- You can only generate 10 codes at a time. Generating additional codes will invalidate all previous codes. In other words, you cannot repeat the process to build a stockpile of 20, 50, or 100 codes. If you use your 10 codes, you can always generate more.
To generate Duo backup codes
- Go to https://go.uwplatt.edu/duotempcodes.
- Click Generate Codes button.
- Enter your campus NetID (username) and password when prompted.
- Complete Duo two-factor authentication.
- Close all windows of your browser to log out.
- Wait a few minutes.
- Check your campus email.
- Print or copy the Duo codes from your email to a safe place.
- Delete the email.
To use Duo backup codes
- When prompted to choose an authentication method, select Enter a Passcode.
- Enter one of your codes.
- Click Log in.
- Remove that code from your list; it will no longer work.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.