Topics Map > Campus Services > Web
Web Development - Web Trouble Shooting Steps
Steps for trouble shooting error on the web for the public website, Portal, Dashboard, and other Web Development based tools.
Web Trouble Shooting Steps
- Did you get a dark screen with a Sentry form that asks what you are doing or a "500 Server Error"?
- This is an issue in the software and Web Development will be notified through the error tracking system.
- You can still reach out to the Help Desk.
- That's it. There is nothing else to do until Web Development fixes the issue.
- Try loading the page in a Private Browser ( Incognito ) session.
- If the page loads successfully then you will have to clear the browser's cache. This will only fix the browser you cleared the cache in. So if the issue is in Firefox and Chrome both browser caches will need to be cleared.
- There is a known Portal authentication error that requires clearing cache. Pioneer Portal - Troubleshooting Login Error '474869fe-d3e6-43a8-9746-83e013c9ce74'
- Is this a permissions issue? The page may display "403 Unauthorized"
- The user may require an LDAP group to access the page.
- If the error can be recreated please explain how or what you did to the Help Desk:
- URL that the issue happens on
- Steps to recreate the issue if user interaction is needed to throw the error
- Where you logged in or not
- Browser used
- Browser version
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.