Security - Setting up and using text notifications in Duo Self Service
Instructions for setting up SMS text notifications for two factor authentication through Duo Self Service. NOTE: Depending on your phone plan, standard text rates may apply.
NOTE: If you already have a cell phone enrolled in Duo to receive phone calls, you do not need to re-enroll that phone. To learn how to use the text method with that cell phone number, scroll to the second section, "To authenticate using text message".
PERCEPTIVE CONTENT USERS: While you can use texting to authenticate to Perceptive Content, it is a more complex process. If you access Perceptive Content on a regular basis, ITS strongly recommends using the Duo app or a hardware token ("fob").
To enroll a cell phone to receive texts
- Go to Duo Self Service at https://go.uwplatt.edu/duo
- Log in using your campus username and password.
- Click on the desired option to complete the two-factor authentication process. (Yes, you are using Duo to verify access to Duo!)
- Click +Add another device
- Select Mobile phone
- Enter the phone number that will receive the texts
- After entering the phone number, a checkbox field displays to confirm the number. Review the number is correct, select the checkbox, and click Continue.
- Duo will ask, "What type of phone is [your entered phone number]?"
- Select Other (and cell phones). NOTE: If you choose iPhone, Android, or Windows Phone, you will be guided to add the Duo app to your phone. If you do not want the app or have a device that cannot use an app, such as a flip phone, choose Other.
- Click Continue
- Verify that your phone number is correct and leave the default option for the "When I log in" pull-down menu.
- It is a good idea to test your set up right away by logging into a campus system using the instructions in the next section.
NOTE: If the text does not go through, make sure that the Duo phone number (386-401-5734) is not blocked on your device.
NOTE: If your cell phone is still enrolled for phone calls, select Device Options and delete it.
NOTE: Consider changing "When I log in" to "let me choose" so you are in control of the method Duo uses each time.
To authenticate using text message
- When presented your Duo options, select Passcode.
- A field will appear for the code. Click the link at the bottom of the Duo box to "Text me new passcodes*".
- You should receive a text message containing the code.
- Enter the code into the Duo field from #2.
- Click Log in