Topics Map > OS & Desktop Software
Topics Map > Security
Topics Map > Technology Purchasing > Software
Antivirus - Information about antivirus software
ITS requires antivirus software be installed and up to date in order to connect to our network. Here are a few free options.
Important Security Information
- Without an Antivirus software your computer can become severely infected. These infections can install programs, steal information, slow down, and limit your access to the internet and other aspects of your computer.
- Although you have an Antivirus on your computer please understand that your computer may still become infected.
- The University requires all computers that connect to the UW-Platteville campus network (wired or wireless) have up to date Antivirus software and virus definitions installed.
- University-owned computers must contain specific versions of Antivirus software as noted in the required software for University owned computers document.
- A few free Antivirus options for Students, Staff, and Faculty include, but are not limited to:
- If you are interested in obtaining Antivirus Software for a Mac a few free options include, but are not limited to:
- Another option would be to purchase an Antivirus program from a software retail store.
- Please Note: It is not safe to install two Antivirus programs on your computer at the same time. This can interfere with all functions of your computer.
Virus, Spyware, and Malware Removal
- ITS uses a few useful programs to remove harmful programs and files from computers.
*Most new laptops or desktop systems come with trial versions of antivirus software. These trial versions work well but do expire. When they do, you can install a new, no cost antivirus program from the above mentioned sites or visit http://www.wisc.edu/wisc for discounted full version software.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.