Topics Map > Wireless
Topics Map > Wired
Topics Map > OS & Desktop Software > Windows
Topics Map > OS & Desktop Software > Mac OS X
Connectivity - Connecting to the network in the residence halls
A guide to get started on getting connected to the network in the UW-Platteville residence halls
Connecting with an ethernet cable1. Get an ethernet cable. If you don't have one, the Help Desk sells them for $5 at the ITS Help Desk in Karrmann Library.
2. Plug one end into the DATA jack on the wall and the other into the network jack on your computer.
3. Open a browser, log-in, and follow the steps on the registration page.
4. Once you reboot, you should have internet access.
Connecting a wireless router
Note: ITS does not support personal wireless routers1. Plug the WAN or Internet port on the router into the DATA jack on the wall.
2. Plug your computer into a switch port labeled 1, 2, 3, etc on the back of the router. You can also connect to the router wirelessly instead if you wish.
3. Open a browser and log-in to the registration page.
4. Follow the prompts and reboot the computer and router when asked. You should now have internet access.
Connecting a game console
- If connecting through a wireless router, provided you have followed the wireless set-up above, you should not need to do any further set-up with your console.
- If connecting directly through the wall or through an un-managed switch, you must manually register the console through the ResNet web page: https://www.uwplatt.edu/resnet/network-device-registration?wssl=1 If you live in Rountree Commons, please follow their link to register!
- Fill out the form and allow ITS one business day to register your system. You will receive a confirmation e-mail when this has been completed.