Word -- Attaching a template to a document
All hope isn't lost when you forget to choose a template, or when you decide too late that your document needs a template, or even that you want to change a template. In this case, you need to attach a new template to your document. It sounds scary, but it's really quite easy. Follow these steps courtesy of http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-templates-in-word-2013.html
1. Open the document that needs a new template attached.
2. Click the File tab.
3. On the File screen, choose the Options command. The Word Options dialog box appears.
4. Choose Add-Ins from the left side of the Word Options dialog box.
5. Choose Templates from the Manage drop-down list, which you will find near the bottom center of the dialog box.
6. Click the Go button. The Templates and Add-ins dialog box appears. You should see which template is attached to the document, such as Normal. Whichever template name appears there is whichever template is attached to the document.
7. Click the Attach button. Word displays the Attach Template dialog box, which looks and works like the Open dialog box.
8. Select the template you want to attach. The templates listed are stored on your computer; you don’t see the full range of templates that you find on the New screen.
9. Click the Open button. The template is attached to your document.
10. Ensure that the option Automatically Update Document Styles is selected. Updating styles means that your document's current styles are changed to reflect those of the new template, which is probably what you want.
11. Click OK.
The styles (plus custom toolbars and macros) stored in that template are now available to your document, and the document is now attached to the template.
NOTE: Attaching a template doesn’t merge any text or graphics stored in that template. Only the styles (plus custom toolbar and macros) are merged into your document.
You can also follow these steps to unattach a template. Do that by selecting Normal (NORMAL.DOTM) as the template to attach.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.