Topics Map > Campus Services > E-mail
Topics Map > OS & Desktop Software > Office Productivity
Office 365 - Outlook Desktop Client vs Outlook Web App
Office 365 is readily available through the online Outlook Web App. The Outlook Desktop Client provides advanced features and options for e-mail, calendaring, and tasks. Which one is right for you?
Outlook Web App offers basic functionality for email, calendar, contacts, and tasks as well as access to OneDrive (storage) and Word, Excel, and PowerPoint Online. Mobile devices can be configured to directly to your Office 365 account or through the Outlook app. Most account holders will use Outlook Web App.
The Outlook Web App is the perfect tool if you...
- manage your own mail and calendar
- schedule only appointments for yourself or the occasional meeting with others
- need access to your account on-the-go
- want seamless access to all Office 365 features, including OneDrive (cloud storage)
The Outlook Desktop Client must be installed on your computer or laptop and configured to your Office 365 account. The desktop client is only accessible from the machine on which it is installed.
The Outlook Desktop Client may be beneficial if you...
- manage others’ email accounts
- manage others’ calendars
- schedule complex meetings on a regular basis, i.e. recurring, with large numbers of people
- have a need to archive messages
- copy and paste email lists from Excel into messages or to create contact groups
- manage the workflow of others, i.e. student employees using Tasks
- work mostly from one computer/laptop
- use keyboard shortcuts extensively (only a limited number are available in OWA)
- have a visual challenge that requires greater contrast
- do not need seamless access to OneDrive (cloud storage)
Still not sure which version will best meet your needs?
Employees are encouraged to contact your IT Support Liaison for consultation.
Think the Outlook Desktop Client is for you?
- Work use: UW-Platteville employees should have access to the Office suite, including Outlook, on their workstation/laptop.
- Click on the Window in the lower left, and type Outlook.
- Open the app and sign in using your campus credentials. It may take a few minutes to load your data.
- Personal use: UW-Platteville students and employees may download Outlook from Office 365 to a PC or Mac as part of your free licenses.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.