Office 365 - Outlook 2016 - Open a shared mail folder
After a folder has been shared with you, Outlook needs to be configured to connect to the account in order to view the shared items.
In the example below, Pioneer 256 has shared a mail folder named “Tornado Recovery” with another account, Pioneer 254.
- Log into Outlook 2016 with your own credentials.
- Click on the File tab.
- From the Account Information page, click on Account Settings and choose Account Settings… from the drop down menu.
- On the Account Settings window that opens, make sure you’re on the E-mail tab. Then, select your account from the list and click Change….
- On the Change Account window, click the More Settings… button.
- On the Microsoft Exchange window that appears, select the Advanced tab.
- On the Advanced tab, click the Add… button.
- On the Add Mailbox window, type the e-mail address of the person that shared a folder with you and click OK.
- Click OK on the Microsoft Exchange window to close it.
- Click Next> on the Change Account window to add the shared folder.
- A Microsoft Outlook window will appear to inform you that you need to restart Outlook to add the folder. Click OK to close the window.
- Click Finish to close the Change Account window.
- Click Close to close the Account Settings window.
- Close Outlook and re-open it.
- When Outlook opens, you should see the account in your Folder Pane. Click on the account name to see the folders you have been granted access to.
See the linked PDF file for documentation with images: Outlook 2013 Add a folder shared with you.pdf. While the linked document references Outlook 2013, the appearance and behavior of Outlook 2016 are similar.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.