Office 365 - Outlook - Share a folder
In Office 365, you have the ability to create new mail folders, calendars, address books, etc. If you decide to share those items, additional steps are required.
In the example that follows, Jamie has created a folder named “Recruitment” that they want to share with Pat.
To share a folder that you have created in the Outlook desktop client, there are two key tasks: establishing the path to the share and setting permissions.
To establish the path to the share…
- Log into Outlook with your credentials.
- If you are not already viewing your mail, click on the Mail tab from the bottom toolbar.
- Right-click your account name in the Folder Pane on the left side of the Outlook window and select Folder Permissions
- On the Outlook Today dialog box, make sure you are on the Permissions tab.
- Select the Default permissions from the list. In the Other section, select Folder visible.
- Click OK to close the Outlook Today Properties window.
- Repeat steps 3-6 for all folders that you want to share. In this case, we have to set the Default permissions of the "Recruitment" folder to Folder visible also.
Please Note: If you want to share a sub-folder, all folders in that path need the Default permission of Folder visible. For example, if Jamie wanted to share just the "Candidates" folder which is nested under the "Recruitment" folder, the Default permission would need to be set to Folder visible on the main email@example.com folder, "Recruitment", and "Candidates".
Now that the path to the folder is accessible, it is time to set the permissions on the folder you want to share.
- From the Folder Pane on the left side of the window, right-click the folder you want to share and select Properties....
- A Properties window will appear. Click the Permissions tab.
- To share your folder, click the Add… button.
- On the Add Users window that appears, type the person’s name in the text box and click Go.
- Select the desired person from the results list and click Add ->. Repeat steps 4 and 5 in this section for each account you want to share your folder with.
- Once you have added each account you want to share your folder with, click OK.
- On the Properties window’s Permissions tab, make sure the account(s) you have just added are selected.
- In the Permissions section, choose a Permission Level.
- Assign permissions for each account as desired. Click OK when finished.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.