Topics Map > Campus Services > E-mail
Topics Map > Campus Services > PASS
Topics Map > OS & Desktop Software > Office Productivity
Office 365 - Import class schedule from PASS using Outlook desktop client (faculty/instructors)
These instructions will take faculty/instructional staff through the process of exporting a class schedule from PASS as an iCal and importing it into Office 365 using Outlook desktop client. To complete the process, the newly-imported class schedule will need to be moved the default calendar so that others can view free/busy times.
- Log into PASS.
- Click the Faculty Center tile.
- Click My Schedule.
- Click View Weekly Teaching Schedule. If nothing appears in the week displayed, go forward or backward until you find classes.
- Click Printer-friendly Page link (near the bottom on the far side of your screen). If you cannot see the link, scroll all the way to the left or right to see the link.
- Click Send iCal button (near the top). A message will appear announcing "An e-mail containing your iCal has been sent."
- Click OK.
- An e-mail will be sent to your campus address from UWPStdntAdmin. Please do not reply to this message; it is automatically generated.
- Open Outlook desktop client.
- Go to Mail.
- Open the e-mail from UWPStdntAdmin.
- Double-click on the My_iCal file.
- Click OK on "Add this Internet Calendar to Outlook?" popup.
- Calendar will automatically load and open on the Outlook Calendar tab. Default title of Untitled.
- Right-click on "Untitled" label under Other Calendars on left side of screen; Click Rename Calendar and type whatever you choose to name this calendar.
In Office 365, only the default calendar displays free/busy times. If others will be scheduling you for meetings based on your availability, you will need to move the newly imported events to your default calendar.
- Double-click on the first instance of a class; a box will appear.
- Select to open in the entire series.
- Click OK. The event will open in a full window.
- On the Appointment Series ribbon, choose Copy to my calendar.
- Click Yes to save the changes. A copy of the event will appear on your default calendar, thus blocking your time.
- Repeat Steps 1-5 for each class; don't forget to scroll forward for courses that do not span the entire term, i.e. 8-wk classes.
This process does not result in a “live” sync; meaning, if you change your schedule in PASS, the change will not be reflected in Office 365 automatically. You may handle changes in one of two ways:
• For minor changes, go to Office 365 and delete or add a course to the new calendar as usual.
• For major changes, go to Office 365 and delete the new calendar created by the import process (right click on the calendar name in the left margin; click Delete) and repeat the entire process from PASS.
You will need to repeat the process after each new registration period (November and April).
The iCal will contain your calendar data from week/term you are viewing and everything going forward. For example, if you have summer and fall classes, and you open the calendar in the summer term, your schedules for summer and fall should populate in Office 365. If you open PASS in your fall schedule, only your fall schedule will populate. If you attempt to create the iCal from a term in which there are no classes, you will receive a message saying there is no information. Simply arrow forward to a week with classes and try again.
If you do not have the desktop client installed on your computer, you may create events from scratch on your default calendar in OWA.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.