Topics Map > Campus Services > D2L - Desire2Learn
D2L: Create an Online Room in Desire2Learn
VERSION 10.3 OR HIGHER
The online rooms tool is a feature within D2L that allows students and instructors to set up a web conference session to collaborate with other members of the class. It is possible to create a virtual web-conference space within a Desire2Learn course using the Online Rooms tool. An Online Room can be created by an instructor or students in the course. The individual who creates the room is the primary moderator of the room. The primary moderator must be in attendance for any web-conference session in the created room. An online room can be created and remain open for an extended period of time. During this time, an unlimited number of web-conferencing sessions can be held. When an Online room is created in Desire2Learn, and instructor or student in the course has access to join any web-conferencing session in any room that has been created as Public.
- Access to a Desire2Learn Course
- Log into Desire2Learn.
- Choose the course where the Online Room is to be created.
- Click on the More Dropdown tab on the Navigation bar.
- Click on Online Rooms.
- Click on New Room.
- Enter text in the Name and Description fields.
- Choose Room Visibility; it must be set to public (Or you will have to manually invite members to the Room).
- Select desired Availability for the room; both the Start Date and Time and the End Date and Time.
- Select any Advanced Properties by selecting the box(es).
- Enter the amount of time prior to the Start Date and Time that participants will be allowed to enter the room.
- Choose an archive mode (Manual, Automatic or Disabled).
- Click the check box next to Send email to all attendees (Optional).
- Click Add Attendees and add participants . (Use this if you need to assign additional moderators, or if you did not set up a public room.)
- Use the Search tool to find attendees/groups who are enrolled in the class.
- Select Add External Attendee to add attendees who are not enrolled in the class, and enter the email address of non-affiliated guests.
- Participant - access to features is controlled by the moderator.
- Moderator-Limited - allows person to host room, but cannot edit or delete the rooms within the Online Rooms tool.
- Moderator - allows full control of the presentation including the ability to upload files, create new resources, answer questions from participants, grant permissions, and create breakout rooms.