D2L: Copy Components
VERSION: 10.3 OR HIGHER
The Copy Components tool enables the ability to move previous semester course materials to a current semester course shell. Instructors can copy quizzes, content, grade items, discussion forums, dropbox folders, and nearly every other type of component. Copying components can significantly reduce the amount of work required to create or re-offer a course so it is not necessary to recreate course resources from scratch. Additional information on Copy Components can be found at Copy Course Components between Org Units in the Desire2Learn Online Resource Center. Following this link will direct you away from the UW-Platteville Knowledgebase Website
- When doing course section consolidation, the consolidation process must be done before components are copied into the new course shell.
- Before importing a course, know the exact name of the course to import to. To find the exact course name click on My Home in Desire2Learn and identify the course of interest. Click on the pencil icon next to the name to open up the Course Offering Information window. Copy the Course Offering Code to a clipboard prior to beginning the import process
- When course components are copied or imported, files do not overwrite existing files. For example, if copy components is run twice in one course shell, there will be two of every file copied into the course shell.
- If an LTI was created to link to Atomic Learning videos in a course, the LTI will need to be recreated in a new course. This component will not copy.
- Log into Desire2Learn.
- Navigate to the current semester course shell.
- Click the More tab in the navigation bar.
- Select Edit Course.
- Choose Import/Export/Copy Components.
- Click Search for Offering. Note: The default settings do not need to be changed
- Navigate to the previous semester course from which materials will be copied.
- Click the Radio Button and Add Selected.
- Select Copy All Components.
- After the copy process completes, select View Content to review current course shell.
Note: This process copies all course components. It is possible to delete components not needed in the new course shell. As an alternative, only copy some limited material from the previous course shell. This procedure requires that Select Components be chosen after the previous semester course.
- Click the boxes next to the items to be copied to the new course shell.
- If it is not necessary to copy all items of a type of component, click Select individuals items to copy.
- Click Continue (and select individual items).
- Click Continue to access the confirm menu.
- Click Finish to copy components.
- Click View Content to review.