D2L: Navigating the Discussion Tool in Desire2Learn
VERSION 10.3 OR HIGHER
Discussions forums are collaborative areas to post, read and reply to threads on different topics. Students can share thoughts about course materials, ask questions, share files, or work with peers on assignments and homework. Forums are used to organize discussion topics into categories. Course can have multiple forums and topics, but forums must be created before topics are created since all topics belong to forums. Discussion topics can be assessed.
- Instructor access to a Desire2Learn Course
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Log into Desire2Learn.
- Select a course.
- Click on More in the Navigation menu.
- Click Discussions.
- A Discussion Forum will have one or more Topics associated with the forum. Topics are shown below the forum in white boxes.
- To create new forums or topics, click New.
- To copy, reorder, or restore topics, click More Actions.
- Individual items can be filtered by Unread and/or Unapproved. Unread items have not been opened for reading. Unapproved items have not been approved when moderated settings are used.
- Forums or topics can be subscribed to in order to receive email notification of new posts by clicking Subscribe.
- The Notification Method can be selected and emails will be sent to the registered user.
- Click Subscribe.
- To edit or set a topic up for assessment, click the dropdown arrow next to the topic name.
- Click the pencil icon to edit the topic.
- Click the trash icon to delete the topic.
- Click the search icon to view topics in grid view.
- Using the Discussions navigation bar, Subscriptions and Group Restrictions can be managed by clicking on the tabs.
- Discussion Statistics can be analyzed by clicking on the Statistics tab in the navigation bar.
- Click Settings to access the Discussions Settings window.
- Personal settings include Display, Default View and Reply Settings.
- A Default Rating Scheme can be set at the Org Unit Setting
- Grid View Settings include Topic Descriptions, Default Threading Style, Display settings, Post Fields and Character Limits/Display