Topics Map > Campus Services > D2L - Desire2Learn
D2L: Create A Discussion Forum in Content
VERSION: 10.1 AND HIGHER
Discussions are a great tool for students to engage outside of class. Both students and instructors can post and reply within a discussion board. The instructor is responsible to create a discussion forum and topic that provides the space for posts and replies. A discussion can be scored or not. Discussions can be restricted to a group. This is sometimes helpful if the class is large. Setting up groups reduces the number of posts the student may need to read. Discussions can also be restricted with conditions and dates.
- Instructor access to a Desire2Learn course.
- Log into Desire2Learn.
- Select a course.
- Click Content from the Navigation bar.
- Navigate to the module where the discussion is to be added.
- Click New and choose New Discussion.
- Type in a Discussion topic name in the textbox. To add this discussion to an existing forum, click the dropdown in the second box and choose the forum. Note: To add the discussion topic to a new Forum, click the New Forum button. Type in a Discussion forum name in the textbox. Use the HTML Editor box to type instructions. Click Create. Then click the dropdown in the second box and choose the new forum name. For more information on how to use the HTML Editor, click the link in the next step.
- Use the HTML Editor box to type instructions.
- Click Publish.
- Options for controlling how the topic will be presented to students can now be edited.
- To edit Options, point the mouse in the area below the title Options and click the edit pencil that appear on the right.
- Click the check box beside any of the three options that will be enforced for the discussion topic.
- Additional options are shown on the right side of the screen. These options are described in the What is it? document. Briefly, the restrictions include:
- Type of completion for checklist,
- Start, due and end dates
- Release conditions,
- Connection to a grade item,
- Association to a learning objective.
- At the bottom right of this page will be a list of the content items within the module.