Topics Map > Campus Services > D2L - Desire2Learn
D2L: Beacon Early Alert
Beacon is a campus-wide early alert system that notifies the Pioneer Academic and Transitional Help (Acadmic Support Programs) Center when a staff member creates an alert about a student who is struggling academically in their courses. Research shows students who are offered help and accept it after being identified as "at risk" within the first 2 - 3 weeks of a semester are more likely to succeed.
For those faculty who use Desire2Learn, a Beacon widget appears in each course shell to make it convenient for faculty to report to Academic Support Programs about students who may be academically at risk. This quickguide explains how to use the Beacon Widget. For more information about when to use Beacon, click here.
- Firefox and Chrome are preferred browsers
Note: If the student you are reporting on is not found in Beacon, you will need to contact Academic Support Programs directly. If you do not use Desire2Learn it is still important to contact Academic Support Programs about at-risk students. Call 608.342.1081 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Log into Desire2Learn.
- Select a course.
- The Beacon Widget appears on the right side of the screen.
- Scroll down in the widget and click Create Success Notification.
- Type in username and password if requested.
- Search for the student by entering their name or username (email).
Note: DO NOT PRESS ENTER! Wait for the list of matching names to appear.
- Select the name of the student, if found.
Note: If the name does not appear, then contact the Academic Support Programs Center directly by phone or email. Call 608.342.1081 or email email@example.com.
Note: The warning message that appears is an internal Beacon notice about the student's advisor. This can be ignored. An Alert notice when submitted is sent to the Academic Support Programs office who will then attempt to followup with the student.
- Select the "Alert" tab
- Mark the "Allow student to view alert" checkbox. The alert will be shared with the student.
- Type in a note to the Academic Support Programs Center staff.
- Click the Submit button.
- The Success screen should appear and allow for another notification to be entered. Close the window if no more notifications are needed.