D2L: Add a New Link in Desire2Learn Content
In the Content area, materials located in spaces outside of the course shell can be accessed by creating a hyperlink. Like content placed in a course shell, these links can be restricted by date and by completion of other parts of the course. It is also possible to track a student's first visit to an external link.
VERSION 10.3 AND HIGHER
- Instructor access to a Desire2Learn Course
- External web site URL to place in content
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Log into Desire2Learn.
- Select a course.
- Click the Content tab.
- Navigate to the module where the link will be placed.
- Click New Dropdown and select Create a Link.
- Type in a title for the link.
- Type in the complete URL that links to the materials outside of Desire2Learn.
- Check Open in New Window if the materials should open outside of the Desire2Learn frame.
Note: Do not check Open as External Resource! Checking this box disables tracking.
- Click the Create button and the link will be placed at the end of the items listed in the module.
- A placeholder is now created in content that when selected allows users to navigate to the external link.
- To modify the link, scroll down the page.
- To add or edit the description click on Edit Link.
- Automatic Completion is the default for tracking student progress. To change, click the dropdown menu under Activity Details and choose either Manual Completion or No Completion. Automatic Completion means the item is marked automatically as completed if the link is clicked. Manual completion means the student marks the item as completed. No completion means tracking student progress is not done.
- Links can be marked as Published or Draft. A link must be published for the student to see it. The default condition is Published.
- Date and time restrictions as well as release conditions can be established by clicking Add restrictions.
- Learning Objectives is used to tie the item to a learning outcome.
- Student progress can be viewed by clicking on Completion Summary.
- Click the Content tab at the top to return to the standard view of Content.
If you have questions, please contact the DLC Help Desk at 608.342.1303, or 877.854.3083. You can also visit the DLC Help Desk's web page for information on hours of availability.