D2L: Associate an Activity with a Learning Objective
VERSION 10.3 OR HIGHER
Competencies help track information about the knowledge, skills and abilities learners acquire as they participate in courses or other learning experiences. Competencies are an inventory of skills and knowledge, rather than measures of how good learners are at something. Desire2Learn competencies correspond to general course objectives. Desire2Learn learning objectives correspond to specific student learning outcomes.
The learning objectives associated with competencies are assessed with various Desire2Learn activities. Activities are created inside a course offering and are the only competency structure elements that can be assessed. It is possible to set up flexible competency structures and associate multiple learning objectives with an activity, or associate multiple activities to a learning objective.
The most fundamental structure must contain at least one competency, one learning objective, and one activity.
- Instructor access to a Desire2Learn Course
- Course objectives/goals and student learning outcomes determined
- Activities in the Desire2Learn course
- Log into Desire2Learn.
- Select the course where the competencies and learning objectives will be added.
- Select the More tab.
- Select Edit Course.
- Select Competencies.
- To associate a learning objective, click the learning objective name in the Hierarchy list.
- Click the Structure button.
- Select the Edit Structure tab.
- Select Incorporate Activities. Note: If Incorporate Activities is not in the list, click Add child to expand list.
- When the window opens, select the type of activity to associate.
- Select the existing activity from the dropdown menu. Note: The activity must correspond to the Evaluation Method defined when the activity was created.
- Check Assess Objective to associate a rubric or numeric assessment.
- (Optional) Add a rubric.
- Check the box if the activity is required to complete the learning objective.
- Click Add.