D2L: Associate Learning Objectives with Competencies
VERSION 10.3 OR HIGHER
Competencies help track information about the knowledge, skills and abilities learners acquire as they participate in courses or other learning experiences. Competencies are an inventory of skills and knowledge, rather than measures of how good learners are at something. Desire2Learn competencies correspond to general course objectives. Desire2Learn learning objectives correspond to specific student learning outcomes.
Use the Competencies tool to create competency structures to help assess users' learning outcomes and determine if students have acquired the intended knowledge, skills, and abilities from a learning experience. Learning objectives are associated with a competency to develop a hierarchy of expected skills and learning.
The most fundamental structure must contain at least one competency, one learning objective, and one activity. Add associations between these elements to create your competency structure.
- Instructor access to a Desire2Learn Course
- Course objectives/goals and student learning outcomes determined
- Log into Desire2Learn.
- Select the course where the competencies and learning objectives will be added.
- Select the More tab.
- Select Edit Course.
- Select Competencies.
- To associate a competency, click the competency name in the Hierarchy list.
- Click the Structure button.
- Select the Edit Structure tab.
- Select Add child to this competency. Note: If Add child to this competency is not showing, click Add child to expand list.
- Select Existing Learning Objective.
- When the window opens, select the Search tab.
- Check the box(es) next to the learning objective(s) to be associated to the Competency.
- Click Add Selected.