Storage - Back Up Files to a Flash Drive
This document outlines the common places where data can be stored and shows how to save data to a USB storage device or flash drive. Saving to a network drive is identical; simply locate the network drive and folder where the data should be stored instead of the flash drive.
- Plug in the USB storage device to be used, or locate the network drive (i.e. J Drive or S Drive) where you would like the files saved.
- Identify the files to be backed up. Common places for data files include the Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos folders.
- Once identified, select the files to save. You can select multiple files by holding down the shift key (all files) or control key (selective).
- Once the files are selected, right-click on one of the selected files and choose "Copy".
- Open the storage device where the files will be saved. Right-click in the open area of the window and choose "Paste".
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.