Topics Map > Campus Services > D2L - Desire2Learn
D2L: Create and Edit Discussion Forums
Discussions forums are collaborative areas to post, read and reply to threads on different topics. Forums are used to organize discussion topics into categories. Course can have multiple forums and topics, but forums must be created before topics are created since all topics belong to forums. It is also possible to edit discussion forums after they have been created. Forums can also be assessed.
- Instructor access to a Desire2Learn Course
- Log into Desire2Learn.
- Select a course.
- Click on More in the Navigation menu.
- Click Discussions.
- To create new forum, click New.
- Choose New Forum on the dropdown menu.
- Enter a Title for the forum.
Note: It is possible to create a new topic with the same title by clicking the checkbox.
- Optionally, a Description of the forum can be placed in the text box.
- Check the box to allow anonymous posts.
Note: Anonymous posts cannot be evaluated.
- Check the box to require moderators to approve posts before they appear in forum topics.
- Check the box to require users to start a thread before they can read and respond to other threads in each topic.
- Select a Visibility option for the forum.
Note: To set a start and end date, Forum is visible for specific date range must be checked.
- Select forum Locking Options. Select Lock forum to the lock the forum upon creation. It remains locked until Unlock forum is selected. Select Unlock forum for a specific date range to open the forum within a date range.
- Click Save to save the forum, but not close the window or Save and Close if restrictions do not need to be added. Save and Add Topic can be used to immediately create a new topic for the forum just created.
- Release conditions can be added, if needed.
- Group and Section Restrictions can be added, if needed.
- Click Save and Close.