D2L: Assigning Rubric Levels and Criteria
VERSION: 10.3 AND HIGHER
Rubrics can be created in Desire2Learn. Once a rubric is created, levels and criteria can be added and edited. The criteria provide an index of acceptable performance on various levels. Desire2Learn supports two types of rubrics: holistic rubrics and analytic rubrics. Holistic rubrics are based on a single criterion using predefined achievement levels. Analytic rubrics are based on more than one criterion with the criteria displayed in rows and the levels of achievement displayed in columns.
Additional information on assigning rubric levels and criteria can be found at Desire2Learn Resource Center: Adding rubric achievement levels, criteria, or criteria groups and Desire2Learn Resource Center: Editing rubrics, achievement levels, criteria, or criteria groups.Clicking these links will navigate away from the UW-Platteville Knowledgebase.
- Instructor access to a Desire2Learn course.
- A rubric created in Desire2Learn.
- Log into Desire2Learn.
- Select a course.
- Click the More tab on the Navigation Bar.
- Select Rubrics.
- Click the dropdown arrow next to the name of the previously created rubric and choose Edit Levels and Criteria.
- Verify that the template presented has the expected number of criteria and levels.
- To build the rubric by individual criteria, select the Edit Criterion in the drop down menu next to the first criterion to edit.
- To copy a criterion, select Copy Criterion in the drop down menu next to the criterion to copy.
- It is possible to add a criterion above the currently selected criterion by selecting Add Criterion Above.
- It is possible to add a criterion below the currently selected criterion by selecting Add Criterion Below.
- Enter the Criterion name.
- Enter the description of the level (i.e. Describe how a student meets this specific level).
- Enter any automated feedback to associate with achievement of specific level of the criterion.
- When the description (and, optionally, feedback) has been entered for each level, click Save.
- To add Levels to the Criteria, select the drop-down menu next to the Level name and select Edit Level.
- Enter a Level Name
- Enter a number for the Score(points) for level achievement.
- Click Save.
Note: Levels and criteria can only be added or edited when the Rubric status is Draft.
Note: Repeat steps 11-13 for all Criteria in the rubric
Note: Repeat steps 16-18 for all Levels in the Rubric.
Note: The rubric descriptions can also be added by level. To edit by level, select Edit Level in the dropdown menu for each level, and write the description and feedback for each of the criteria at that specified level. When editing level and criteria, authors may go back and forth between these two methods.