Topics Map > Hardware
Topics Map > Campus Services > Printing

Printing - HP Managed Print Services FAQ - UPDATED 7/29/19

Frequently asked questions regarding the HP Managed Print Services contract at UW-Platteville


What does the Managed Print Services contract cover?

This annual contract covers cartridges, toner, preventative maintenance, service, and repair for all HP networked printers at UW-Platteville. 

Are there any exceptions to the contract?

Exceptions to the contract include non-HP networked printers and plotters of any brand.


What happens if a printer needs service?

Under this contract, departments are responsible for contacting HP directly with any issues affecting their department printers. You may call, email, or submit your request via a web portal.  Full printable instructions are found in the HP MPS Service Quick Reference Guide.

NEW! Effective Spring 2019, HP has implemented the following aging policy related to support:

  • For devices 1-10 years old, HP will cover full supplies, parts, and maintenance.
  • After 10 years old, HP will cover full supplies, parts, and maintenance for 12 months.
  • For devices 11+ years old, HP will cover supplies only; no parts or service included.

Lab printers are the responsibility of the ITS Help Desk.  All problems with lab printers will be reported to the ITS Help Desk, who will in turn contact HP if necessary.


How do I get toner for my printer?

HP's system will come to know your printing habits and, using a special algorithm, will be able to predict when you have approximately 9 days' worth of toner left (Roughly 10%).  HP will automatically send a toner to you at that time.

What if I need toner before HP send is; for example, for a large project?

You may order toner at any time you feel the need.  There is no extra charge.  You may call, email, or submit your request via a web portal.  Full printable instructions are found in the HP MPS Service Quick Reference Guide.

Who installs the new toner cartridge?

Installing toner cartridges is one of the few jobs a UW-Platteville employee should have to do with a networked HP printer under this contract.  If you are unsure how to install the toner, the ITS Help Desk staff will be happy to assist you.

What do I do with the empty toner cartridge?

With each new toner cartridge sent, HP will include a pre-paid shipping label. Simply follow the instructions to return the cartridge directly to HP.


How will the department be billed for this service?

Each department must complete an Authorization of Automatic Expense Posting to Funding String form for each account used for printing services.  The form should be returned to Information Technology Services. Charges for Hewlett-Packard (HP) Managed Print Services will be charged back to the department's designated funding string automatically in WISDM on a monthly basis*. HP printer charges will appear as "HP MPS". It is the department's responsibility to check WISDM for accurate charges. 

*Effective Spring 2019

How much will the department be charged for printing?

Charges will depend on usage and printer model.  Departments will be charged on a per-page basis for printing, dependent upon type of printing (black/white versus color) and model of printer.  You may use the HP Support Rate chart below to estimate future expenses (effective 2016).

HP Support Rates

How can I see the details of my bill? WISDM only displays a total charge.
In WISDM, click on the GL JML ID link (see 1 below). A link to the full bill will appear in the upper right corner (see 2 below). Open the link and select the ORIG tab at the bottom. All department printers are listed by funding string.

Figure 1
Choose GL link

Click link, choose ORIG

We share our printer with another department. How will billing work for us?

HP generates one bill per device; however, internal options do exist.  Contact your Support - ITS Support Liaison for more information.

What if I find an error on my bill?

All errors should be reported directly to Hewlett-Packard (HP).

What if I need to change the account associated with a particular printer?

Any funding string changes will require a new authorization form be filled out and signed.

If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or  You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.

Keywords:network printer department service authorization plotter see bill details wisdm order toner   Doc ID:61922
Owner:Ryan C.Group:UW Platteville
Created:2016-03-15 11:58 CDTUpdated:2019-07-30 09:56 CDT
Sites:UW Platteville
Feedback:  0   0