D2L: Navigating Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Online Rooms
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is the newest browser-based version of Blackboard Collaborate. It provides instructors with a way to host remote, synchronous sessions without having to install software. Chrome is the preferred browser for the best Ultra experience. Other browsers may work with limited functionality.
You can personalize your profile and test your settings before you use an Online Room by accessing the room ahead of time and doing some preliminary setup steps.
Enter the room by clicking on the “Join room” link found in the course module under Online Rooms - Ultra. (You may be asked to set-up your microphone and camera.) If this is your first time using Ultra, you may be prompted to "Begin the Tour" of Ultra's features.
- Click on the Avatar icon at the bottom of the screen to open “My Settings.”
- Mouse over the Avatar icon in “My Settings,” and click on the editing icon to change your profile picture.
- Upload a photo, or use your camera to take a photo.
- Crop and save (Click “I Like It!”)
- Click “Save”
- If you need additional help, here is some more information on adding profile pictures.
Select “Set Up your Camera and Microphone” to use the setup wizard
Note: If a warning comes up saying you must allow access, click on the video with a red X icon in the top right in the URL bar and select “Always allow”.
If you need additional help, here is some more information on Audio and Video Set Up.
You can present using a Whiteboard or by sharing your desktop or a specific application. If you choose to share a PowerPoint presentation, it should already be open (on your desktop) before you begin the share.
- Click on the microphone icon to enable the microphone.
- Click on the “More Tools” icon and select “Start Recording.”
- Click the “+” sign, found on the top right of the screen and select “Share Application.”
- If you get a warning message about an extension that needs to be installed, follow the onscreen instructions to do so.
- Select your PowerPoint application, then click “Share.”
- This will bring your Presentation to the front. You should see the “Desktop Sharing” bar on the bottom of your screen:
- Start your presentation, as usual, using the PowerPoint display on your desktop. When completed, click on the “Stop Sharing” button.
- This will conclude your presentation and the next presenter should be able to repeat the steps above to continue with their presentation.
- Audio should be turned off for all users who are not presenting. (On the display, the microphone icon should be crossed off.)
- When everyone is done, shut off the recording by clicking on the More Tools icon and selecting “Stop Recording”. Exit through the door icon found on the upper left side of the screen.
The vendor survey that follows is optional. Close the window to return to the course.
- To access the recording, return to the D2L course and click on the Sessions Menu in the top left corner in the course where the recording was done.
- Click on the “Recordings” option to see the recordings for this session; then click on “View Recording,” or click the download icon to download without viewing.
- It may take several minutes to load the video playback. When you see the “Play” icon, it is ready to view. When viewing the recording in the player, you will also see the download icon in the top right of the screen.
More information can be found at https://en-us.help.blackboard.com/Collaborate/Ultra.