Topics Map > Network Connectivity > Wired
Network - Residence Hall Wired Connections
How to connect to a wired connection in the residence halls.
NOTE to Rountree Commons Residents: Airwave Networks Customer Care is available 24/7 to take your calls at 1-833-738-4726 (Single Digits). ResNet or ITS can help with any computer issues that you might have, but if it is determined that it is a network issue, we will refer you to contact Airwave Networks for support.
How to register wireless devices to UWplatt WiFi
- Wireless devices must be able to see the UWPLATT wireless network
- Wireless devices must be able to connect using WPA2-Enterprise Security Protocol
- If your device(s) cannot connect due to lack of support for WPA2-Enterprise, your device can not be connected to the campus wireless network
- Please consult your owners manual on how to connect to a wireless network and enter your campus username and password
Connecting a router, laptop or desktop (device that uses an internet browser)
- Plug your network device that can use a web browser into the “DATA” port using an Ethernet cable. If you do not have one, ITS sells 10ft cables for $5 which is applied to your PASS account. During move-in, you may purchase a cable from the ITS student employee assigned to your hall, or you can stop by the Help Desk anytime during the year on the 1st floor of Karrmann Library to purchase one.
- On your wired device, navigate to any web browser. If the “NetReg” page does not appear automatically when launching your browser, navigate to the NetReg Registration page (if you enter www. before the URL, the page will fail to load). This website will guide you through registering your device on the network.
3. Once you have registered your device, reboot/restart all routers and devices wired in. You should be connected to the network if you have waited 90 seconds after rebooting/restating.
Connecting a gaming console or "smart device"
All networking devices must be registered with their wired connection to gain access to the network/internet. Please complete the following steps:
- To manually register a gaming system (Xbox, PlayStation...etc), fill out the Network Device Registration Form. It should look similar to this:
- If you have not registered a computer/router to your room, you will have to successfully pass the Copyright Quiz at this time.
- For the Registration process, you will need to provide your MAC address for your gaming system. Steps to find the MAC Address can be found here.
- For other devices such as TVs, bluray, AppleTv...etc please consult the owners manual to find the wired MAC or Phyiscal Hardware Address.
- Known Issues with Gaming Systems
- Xbox One and Playstation 4 - Peer2Peer game play for party chat is currently not support on our campus. This is due to limited support for IPv6 on campus and not allowing for unsolicited off campus connections to connect to on campus devices. At this time there is no solution for this.
Notes for Move-In WeekIf you are using your own wireless router, and it was used before coming to UW-Platteville, we recommend doing a factory reset as our network is set up much differently than most home/office networks. If you need help setting up a wireless router, please contact the ITS student employee in the building during move-in weekend, or contact the ITS Help Desk.
During move-in week, thousands of users are registering devices at the same time.
- If the "NetReg" page does not load, or is slow to load, please be patient and let the page load without refreshing.
- If after many attempts you are still unable to get into "NetReg," please contact the ITS student employee in the building during move-in weekend, or contact the ITS Help Desk.
If you need support for your wireless router, be sure to contact ITS during move-in week. Wireless routers are Level 3 support, which means they are allowed on the network but we cannot provide support for them and we cannot help diagnose problems outside of move–in week. To learn more about support levels, click here.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.