PASS - Class Permissions (admin) (9.2)
A Class Permission must be entered to override the following circumstances:
Class Permissions / Late Adds / Dropping Class with Permission.
- Closed Class - the class is either full or closed manually.
- Requisites Not Met - the student did not fulfill a prerequisite or co-requisite or other condition of enrolling in the course.
- Consent Required - the course specified the need for department consent before enrollment.
- Career Restriction - where the student career does not match the course career, i.e. a DLC student taking an on-campus course, referred to as "borrowing".
- Permission Time Period - used during the Late Add Period. (See #8 below)
- Permission to Drop - when a student has permission to drop a co-req, but remain enrolled in the other course. (See #9 below)
2. Enter the term and course information. Tip: If you don't know the exact subject name, but do know the catalog number, just enter the catalog number (and term). The subject can then be found in the search results. Click on the correct course.
3. Page over to the right section for the permission. Tip: If you know the class number or section number, use the "Find" feature at the top of the Class Section Data box. This can be especially helpful with courses that have a large number of sections.
4. Enter the student ID or click search button (magnifying glass) to search for the emplid of the student. If this is not the first student, click the + sign to add a row. The Expiration Date will default to the last day of the term. This can be changed to add additional control to the permission.
If you save at this point without specifying the type of permission. You will see the following error. Click Ok and continue onto Step 5.
5. Go to the Permission tab. Check the box for the type of permission (see examples above).
6. (Recommended) Go to the Comments tab and enter the permission source, initial and date.
7. Don’t forget to SAVE or your information will be lost once you leave this page.
8. Adding a Late Add Permission - Follow the instructions above, except in the Permissions tab, check the box Permission Time Period. Important -- If you are entering more than a late add, like overriding a closed class as well, you will also have to check that override box. Also, keep in mind that you can control the date that you want to allow an individual student by changing the date in the expiration date field.
9. Drop with Permission - If a student has a co-requisite for a course that they are enrolled in and you want to allow them to drop the course anyway use the Permission to Drop tab. For example, a student may be waived from taking Geneng 1030, but it is a co-req of another class, so the student can’t drop it. You can go to Class Permissions > permission to drop tab, add the student with the permission valid for: requisite not met and the student will be able to drop it successfully.
If you have any questions, contact the Registrar's Office at Ext. 1321.