ResNet - FAQ

Welcome to the ResNet Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) section.

ResNet is the computer support for the residents in the residence halls on the UW-Platteville campus. ResNet provides paid services such as Virus/Spyware removal, Operating System Reinstall, and backup services. Our other services like day-to-day troubleshooting of network connections, printing issues, performance issues…etc for your personal computers are at no cost.

ResNet also does sell network (ethernet) cables during the move-in weekend and throughout the year in case you need a cable to connect your computer to the wired network in your residence hall room. The campus does offer wireless as well, but depending on your building, it might not be full coverage. Each room does have enough network jacks per student and students are allowed to bring in their own wireless access point at this time. As more and more residence halls go full wireless, this policy might change.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at 608.342.1990 or or stop down to your office at 107 Karrmann Library.

New Student FAQ

Where can I find software deals?

You can purchase the discounted software(s) at the following site: Wisconsin Integrated Software Catalog

Will (MY HALL) have full wireless?

As of Summer 2016, all residence halls on campus have full wireless coverage.

Mac vs. PC?

It all comes down to personal preference, some programs may not be available on Mac for some majors, but the programs will be available on the lab computers, and are often not something you’d buy anyway, due to the price.

What would you recommend for a laptop for an engineer?

It’s all personal preference. Most engineering programs are demanding, however, they are also quite expensive, and most students use the labs to use these programs, the computer that you would be using would be mostly for write-ups and personal use.

Do I need a router?

If you require a wireless connection, or simply prefer one, then unless you live in a hall with full wireless, yes, a router is required. However, there are wired ports on each half of the room, so unless you need wireless, you don’t need a router. You would also need one if you have more than one wireless device in the room (gaming console, Ipad, etc.)

Where can I get a laptop lock?

Laptop locks can be purchased anywhere computers or computer accessories can be found.

Any particular brand of laptop/desktop?

There isn't one company that we recommend over another. As long as the computer meets our minimum configurations, we will support the computer.

Can I bring a router?

Yes, however, ResNet has them placed in Level 3 Support; we allow them but do not support them. If you bring one, you must set it up yourself and troubleshoot it yourself.

What type of software is required for (major)?

Within the first week or two of class your professors should let you know what programs you will be using for that class. However, most/all of our labs in the academic buildings already provides this software for you to use. Most students usually use the lab time or their personal time to work on their labs/projects in these lab rooms and use their personal laptop to type up the report.

What are the recommended general PC specifications?

We recommend that students get PCs that are about Mid-range - not the lowest specs, but the highest isn’t required either.

Are Ethernet cables provided?

No they are not, however, during move-in weekend the ResNet staff will be in the residence halls selling 10ft Ethernet cables for $5.00 and helping with general set up. We continue to sell them throughout the school year in our office located in 122 Royce Hall.

Account Information

What does my e-directory (network) account give me access to?

Your e-directory (network) account gives you the ability to print to network printers on campus. You also are given storage space on the network (the J: drive), this helps you access files on different computers without the use of external media devices. Your e-directory (network) password is also used for the UW-Platteville Email System.

How can I get my password reset?

You will need your student ID and can have your password reset at the ResNet Office in 122 Royce Hall. You can also have your password reset at the Help Desk in the Markee Pioneer Student Center or by lab consultants in the Bear's Den. Due to security reasons passwords cannot be reset over the phone or without Student ID (or photo ID).

How often does my e-directory (network) password expire?

You password expires every 180 days.

Can I share my account with other people?

No. Each person is assigned a username and password. You are responsible for all activities involving your account. Allowing another person to use your account information is against the campus Acceptable Use Policy.

Computer Health

Do I need antivirus/antimalware software on my computer?

Please find more information here on antivirus software:
Document 30117 is unavailable at this time.

Job Opportunities

How can I apply for a job with ResNet?

We generally interview students for any open positions within ResNet in early April. Expect to see flyers in the halls and the job application to be open in early April.

Are there any job openings during the academic year with ResNet?

Usually all open positions for the academic year are filled during our hiring process in April of the previous year. However, we encourage students to fill out an online application at any time, as they will then be considered for positions that may open during the academic year

Are there any summer job openings with ResNet?

Summer staff positions are filled by current staff. It is very rare that there are any job openings for summer.

I like working with computers. Where can I get a job on campus?

There are several areas that employ students giving them the opportunity to work with technology: ResNet/UCNS and the Information Technology Services (ITS) Department. ITS provides job opportunities for students in the following areas; Help Desk, Bear's Den and Library lab consultants, IT support student assistants, and network support. To apply for positions for ResNet/UCNS use the online application. If you wish to apply for positions with ITS please pick up an application at the Help Desk located in the Markee Pioneer Student Center or in the ITS office located in 416 Karrmann Library.


Are there labs in the halls?

Yes, there are 3-4 computers in each hall, depending on the hall.

Network Interfaces

What is a network card?

A network card is a piece of hardware required to connect a computer to the network. They are also known as network interfaces. 


Does UW-Platteville have a computer leasing program?

No, UW-Platteville does not have a leasing program with any specific vendor. However, ResNet does have information from the following vendors regarding student discount purchasing.

Is there a computer loan program on campus?

Students are allowed to borrow laptops from the in the Bears Den in the Markee Pioneer Student Center and in the Karrmann Library for a period of 72 hours.

Where can I borrow computer/AV equipment for presentations, projects, etc?

If you find you need equipment such as a "computer on a cart", projector, etc. for a project or presentation you may contact TV Services.

Should I bring/buy a laptop or desktop?

This is really a personal choice. Many students prefer the mobility of a laptop. With a wireless network card a laptop can be used on campus in designated wireless areas. One thing to keep in mind is that laptop computers are also a bit more expensive than a desktop computer. Also if you decide to bring a laptop, we highly recommend buying a security device for it. You can research various laptop security methods online.a


How long is my account active?

Your account is active for a period of one semester after you have left UW-Platteville as a student.

What is the minimum configuration my computer must meet in order to get connected?

Students can check out Minimum Configuration on ITS's page.


What's the advantage of having a network connection in my residence hall room?

Having direct access to UW-Platteville resources and the Internet from the residence halls increases the opportunity for learning since many University and worldwide resources are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Are all the halls connected?

Yes, all halls are networked since the beginning of 1997, in addition to Southwest Hall which opened in Fall 2006.

What advantages does the campus network give me?

With the campus network you have access to E-mail, World Wide Web, word processing software, an online library catalog, class schedules, and other useful resources..

How do I sign up for a connection in my room?

Starting in Fall 2007, ResNet is using a system called NetReg to make port activation easier for the students on move in day. Simply set up your computer, plug an ethernet cable in your PC and the port provided, start up your computer, and load a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox. From there, you should be redirected to the registration page. You will have to take a short copyright quiz and fill out some information about your computer. After this, restart your computer and you should be set to go! If you have any problems, ResNet employees will be around the residence halls on move-in days. Otherwise come to the ResNet Support Office located in Royce 122 or call us at x1990.

Do I have to pay for my account?

Fees for use of the residence hall computer resources are already included in your fall and spring housing fees. You are assigned a NetWare username and an e-mail address as soon as you register for school.

What kind of computers are in the Residence Halls?

There are 3-4 computers in each Residence Hall, depending on the hall. For more information on these computers, go here.

Are there priorities for the use of computer lab computers?

Yes, students who are in the lab to do homework have first priority. Second would be e-mail, then web usage, last would be games. Academic usage is always first. If you need to use a computer, politely ask someone who is not using it for academic purposes to leave; if this does not work please ask the RA on call or the front desk attendant for assistance.

Am I allowed to save to the computer?

You are currently not restricted from saving data on the computer's hard drive, but be aware that these systems are re-setup occasionally. What you save one day might be gone the next. It is a better idea to save personal data on your user directory (Drive J: for PC users).

Am I allowed to install software on the lab machines?

You are not allowed to install software to the lab machines. In most cases installed software will not work due to the limited access students have to system directories on the system. This may compromise the system's stability. Please do not attempt to install software on these lab machines. If you would like to request certain software please email, we will review your request.

How can I get into my Residence Halls' computer lab, and what are the hours?

You can enter the computer lab 24 hours a day 7 days a week using the no-hours key provided by your hall.

How long is my account active?

Your account is active for a period of one semester after you have left UW-Platteville as a student.

What kind of software is available to me?

Software that is available on the Residence Hall lab computers includes: Autocad 2010, Microsoft Office 2010, Mozilla FireFox, NetBeans.


Can I run an FTP server?

FTP server are not allowed on campus. No servers are allowed to be run on the ResNet network.

What computer platforms can I use on the network?

You can use both Macintosh and PC systems.

Can I run Linux, Unix, BeOS, or any other operating system that isn't listed on the minimum configuration list?

These operating systems are allowed on the network, but they are not supported by the ResNet staff. All server services must be turned off.

Am I allowed to share files or printers with Microsoft File Sharing or AppleTalk?

No. UW-Platteville does not support peer-to-peer file sharing or peripheral sharing at this time. This type of sharing was designed for small offices or home environments with a handful of devices and not for large networks such as ours. The nature of peer-to-peer sharing presents many issues that would need to be addressed if it was determined that such a system would add value to the operation of the University. ITS is constantly reviewing the campus network infrastructure and it's services, and will make adjustments as necessary to improve the operation of the University. The University currently provides network-accessible storage and printing. Alternatives include: Print to lab printers, printing at a later time, or saving files on any portable or network accessible storage system.

Is it okay to download and share mp3 files, movies, and software?

If they are protected by copyright law, then you are not allowed to download them and share them. You are responsible for following all copyright laws and guidelines. Refer to the University of Wisconsin Platteville - "Copyright and You" booklet. You can find more information about copyright at our Copyright site. Students found in violation will have their network connection disabled for a period of time, determined by the sanctions stated in the "Copyright and You" booklet. Sanctions start at 30 days and increase depending on the severity/re-occurance of the violation. If you have any questions please contact the ResNet Support Office at (608) 342-1990.


Is there wireless access on campus?

There are various spots on campus that wireless network access is available.

Is wireless access available in the Residence Halls?

As of Summer 2016, all residence halls on campus have full wireless coverage.

Can I set up wireless access points in the Residence Halls?

Students may set up wireless routers in their rooms. The student is responsible for all traffic on the wireless router. Students can register their wireless routers in their room through the wired connection/device registration page. Students are responsible for securing the wireless signal with a password.

If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or  You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.

Keywords:account, computer health, purchasing, registration, usage, wireless, labs, network interfaces   Doc ID:75293
Owner:Joshua S.Group:UW Platteville
Created:2017-08-04 09:40 CDTUpdated:2017-08-08 14:54 CDT
Sites:UW Platteville
Feedback:  0   0