D2L - TurnItIn Tool, Viewing Instructor Feedback (Student)
TurnItIn Originality Checker and GradeMark tools have been integrated into the D2L dropbox tool. Once the Originality Checker has been run, the student will be able to review their Originality Reports and if the instructor provided any feedback via D2L. Students may be able to see their report and resubmit before they get professor feedback depending on the assignment.
- Access to a D2L course utilizing TurnItIn features.
- NetID and password
1. Log into D2L.
2. Select the appropriate course.
3. Click Dropbox on the Navigation Bar.
4. Scroll to the appropriate Dropbox and select the Feedback column. The bold font and feedback icon indicate that there is unread feedback available for viewing. There will also be notification Update Alerts drop down of D2L.
5. Select View.
NOTE: Under TurnItIn similarity, a percentage will be listed, along with a colored block. This number and color indicate how much of the paper can be matched to text found in other sources.This overall number is less important than looking closely at the report to see what the system has found and deciding how to improve your citations and paraphrasing.
The lower the percentage the better, with 0% being correct usage of paraphrasing and citing sources and 100% being an incorrect usage of paraphrasing and citing sources.
6. Click on the percentage. A Feedback Studio window will open.
1. The "All Sources" tool will show you where TurnItIn located and matched your material from.
2. The "e-rater" tool tallies and shows grammatical errors marked.
3. Students can see the following three layers in a document: GradeMark, originality, and e-rater.Grademark is highlighted in blue, the originality markings are in red, and the e-rater is highlighted in purple.You also have the option to download a variety of different versions of the document to your computer by selecting Download and then choosing your preferred style.
While there are many other tools available to you through TurnItIn and Feedback Studio, these will be the ones most useful for student use.
If you have questions, please contact the DLC Help Desk at 608.342.1303, or 877.854.3083. You can also visit the DLC Help Desk's web page for information on hours of availability.