Topics Map > Campus Services
Topics Map > Hardware
Cable TV - TV Manufacturers with QAM and Digital Conversion Boxes
UW-Platteville is unable to certify that any particular device is compatible. The following listing does not guarantee compatibility. You should verify the specifications when you make a purchase.
Potential TV models with QAM
- Dynex - Only limited models have a QAM tuner
- Element - Only limited models have a QAM tuner (not recommended)
- Insignia - Only limited models have a QAM tuner
- LG - Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
- Samsung - All models since 2009 have a QAM tuner (fifth digit of model number must be B or higher)
- Sony - Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
- Sylvania - Do not appear to have QAM tuners
- Toshiba - Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
- Vizio - Recent models have a QAM tuner
- Westinghouse - Some models require QAM tuner activation
- Seiki - Only limited models have a QAM tuner (not recommended)
TV models that are not equipped with QAM
The following are known to produce televisions that do not come equipped with a QAM tuner:
Digital Conversion Boxes (external QAM tuners)
If your television does not have a QAM tuner, you can update your television or purchase a digital conversion box. Just like the TV, you should ensure that the conversion boxes include a QAM tuner and not just an ATSC tuner. Most tuner boxes available at electronic stores for over-the-air digital TV transition do not include a QAM tuner. Therefore, be sure to verify the specifications from the external tuner manufacturer before completing your purchase.
**UW-Platteville recommends you talk to a qualified sales person familiar with the equipment and that you review the manufacturer’s specifications for the television you are considering, as that will help identify the type of tuner the television has.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.