Topics Map > Campus Services > E-mail
Topics Map > Campus Services > Storage
Collaborative Integration - Office 365 Migration
CITS facilitated the migration of Office 365 from Colleges accounts to UW-Platteville accounts from April 24 - 26. This document identifies what is included and what is not and offers guidelines to ensure the smoothest transition possible.
- NEW! Printable PDF of the post-migration FAQ and checklist outlined below
- Printable PDF of the pre-migration checklist and notes outlined below
Included in the migration
The Office 365 migration from Colleges (uwc) to UW-Platteville (uwplatt) includes the following:
- Email (including Trash)
- Resource calendars
- NOTE: Currently, for some Baraboo Sauk County resources, the calendar name displays the correct room number but the email address reflects an old room number. After the migration, the room number, calendar name, and email address will all match.
In addition, your VoIP voicemail will be set to send to your UW-Platteville account on Wednesday, Apr. 24. Post-migration, your phone's wallpaper will display your respective new campus logo. See more info in the pre-migration checklist below.
Not included in the migration
The Office 365 migration DOES NOT INCLUDE the following, which will be migrated as ITS takes responsibility for these services this summer:
- Home directories
- Work stations
With any technical change, it is best to expect the unexpected. With a migration of this size, there will be some amount of "clean-up" when it is over. We can, however, alleviate some of the potential issues by being prepared and planning ahead.
Prior to Wednesday, Apr. 24, please...
- Copy inbox rules; inbox rules will not migrate.
- Copy shares/permissions for calendars, files, folders, and accounts; shares and permissions will not migrate. Take a screenshot of the shared screen that lists whom you've shared each item with and their permissions or jot the information down for later reference.
- Copy safe senders or know that safe sender list will need to be repopulated; safe senders lists will not migrate.
- Export (or make note of) your signature in Outlook Web App only (Outlook desktop client should be ok for now)
- Set up UW-Platteville account (if you have not already done so)
- Set time zone: Office 365 - Changing Time Zone
- Set work hours (if applicable)
- Update signature - You may want to include a note that this @uwplatt.edu address is your new address and ask that they update their address books. Your Colleges account will automatically forward to the Platteville account, but at some point this service will end.
NOTE: Links and bookmarks to files in OneDrive/SharePoint will break; you will have to recreate them after the migration is completed.
Once migration begins and until it is completed (expected: Sunday, Apr. 28)
Once the migration begins, ITS strongly recommends that you use your UW-Platteville account exclusively. This will reduce the risk of content being duplicated or lost during the migration. During the migration, you may continue to send and receive email, create new calendar events, or collaborate on items created in UW-Platteville's OneDrive.
Your Colleges account will be accessible until the migration is completed; however, it is best to limit activity within the Colleges account to view-only.
Things to do (or not) in Office 365
- Reconfigure your OneDrive and Outlook desktop clients to your UW-Platteville account.
- UNTIL THE MIGRATION IS COMPLETE, avoid making changes to existing folders, messages, and files IN EITHER ACCOUNT.
- Do not move or delete messages.
- Do not rename or delete folders.
- Do not change folder permissions.
- Creating a new folder or file in your UW-Platteville account is ok, but avoid using the same name as an existing file or folder in your Colleges account.
Other things to know about Office 365
- All forwarding from UW-Platteville to Colleges accounts will STOP on Wednesday, Apr. 24. (This function will be disabled by the system admin prior to the migration.)
- Mail delivered to your Colleges account during the migration will be migrated to UW-Platteville by the end of the migration.
- When the migration is complete, a forward will be set up from Colleges to UW-Platteville. Your Colleges account will not be directly accessible to you after the migration.
- Links and bookmarks to files in OneDrive/SharePoint will break; you will have to recreate them after the migration is completed.
VoIP telephones and voicemail
- Your voicemail will be set to deliver to your Platteville account on Wednesday, Apr. 24.
- No voicemail should be lost; however, voicemail files delivered to your Colleges account will not forward to your UW-Platteville account until the email is migrated.
- ITS recommends using your phone as your primary method of checking voicemail during the migration to ensure you do not miss a message.
- Because of how the technology works (voicemail-to-email integration as well as Office 365-to-Office 365 migration), you may end up with duplicate messages in your Platteville account, and previously-deleted messages may reappear. You will need to delete them again.
- Your new campus logo will appear on your VoIP phone’s display!
Post-migration FAQ and checklist
The migration of Colleges Office 365 to UW-Platteville went very well with relatively few known issues; the transfer completed well ahead of schedule. What’s next? Questions and clean-up.
Which credentials should I use?
Use your UW-Platteville username/password (NetID) for
- Office 365 including OneDrive
NOTE: For ease of use, if you have not already done so, set your Outlook desktop client to your uwplatt address and remove your uwc address. If you use Outlook Web App, bookmark our landing page at campus.uwplatt.edu/go/emailUse your Colleges username/password for
- Your workstation
- SharePoint sites still hosted by CITS
- Any other UWC-hosted applications
NOTE: If you attempt to log into Colleges SharePoint, you will receive a 403 error (access denied). When clean-up is completed, Colleges Office 365 will also become inaccessible.
Now it’s time to clean up.
We expect there will be a few glitches. Most issues should be resolved successfully within days.
Step 1: REVIEW your UW-Platteville Office 365 account. Notify the ITS Help Desk of any issues by Thursday, May 2. See Collaborative Integration -- Tech Support for contact info.
- Log into your uwc account one last time. Are there any messages that arrived in the short window between “last sync” and the forward being set on Friday night? If so, forward the messages to your uwplatt account, if you need to keep them.
- Email folders – is anything missing?
- NOTE: Folders shared with you by others will need to be re-shared by the owner.
- Calendars and calendar events – is anything missing?
- NOTE: Calendars shared with you by others will need to be re-shared by the owner.
- OneDrive and SharePoint folders and files – is anything missing?
- NOTE: This process will be from memory as you can no longer log in to these Colleges applications.
- Note anything else in Office 365 that is odd, different, or not working like it used to.
Step 2: RESET those things that did not migrate.
- Send shares or re-establish permissions for any/all components (email, calendar, OneDrive)
- If you configured “delegate” access to your uwc email,re‐add the delegates to your UW-Platteville account.
- Recreate Inbox rules.
- Update Outlook – if you haven’t already.
- Add your uwplatt address: Outlook -- Adding or removing an account
- Remove your uwc address :Outlook -- Adding or removing an account
- Recreate signature in Outlook; include notation such as “this is my new address; please update your address book”.
- Recreate links and bookmarks to OneDrive and SharePoint files as needed.
- Reconfigure any mobile devices that you previously configured to access your uwc email or documents to access our UW-Platteville account.
- If you use the Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint applications installed on your workstation, add a new save location to save the documents to your UW-Platteville OneDrive.
- Permissions on shared mailboxes and room mailboxes were not transferred as part of the migration. ITS admins are attempting to re‐assign these permissions using log files, but if you can no longer access a shared or room mailbox, please contact UW-Platteville’s ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email email@example.com for assistance.
Step 3: Consider updating calendar events.
Meetings scheduled through your Colleges account using branch employees’ uwc email addresses should have migrated and will suffice for the short-term. However, to avoid issues down the line, ITS recommends recreating the following events using employees’ uwplatt addresses:
- Recurring meetings from this date forward
- Individual meetings scheduled past the end of the term
- Any Skype meeting scheduled through your uwc account where you need to share your desktop and/or record
- Recurring Skype meetings,; this will create a new meeting link in UW-Platteville’s domain (at some point, the Colleges domain will no longer be accessible)
What about mailing lists and address books?
Employee uwc addresses are currently accessible in address books; however, you will be prompted to use the uwplatt address instead. Once the migration clean-up has been completed, uwc addresses will be hidden to prevent inadvertently using an old account.
- Students can continue using your uwc address as it will forward to your uwplatt account.
- To reach branch students:
- Addresses for students contacted prior to the migration should be in your account.
- If not, ITS suggests finding student uwc email addresses through D2L or PRISM. Student uwc addresses are not included in the uwplatt directory.
- Not all lists were recreated automatically. Branch personnel are reviewing certain mailing lists, such as those for committees that have disbanded, to determine if the lists are still needed. If you cannot find a list you need by searching the directory in Office 365, report it to the ITS Help Desk using the contact information below.
Whom do I call for support?
Check Collaborative Integration -- Tech Support in this ITS Knowledge Base for up-to-date responsibilities and other integration news as the integration continues. In short...
Contact UW-Platteville’s ITS Help Desk for issues and questions related to your UW-Platteville Office 365 account (including OneDrive and the new campus SharePoint sites).
- Call 608.342.1400
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated April 28, 2019 at 7:42 p.m.-
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.