Web - Creating a shortened link
UW-Platteville now has its own ULR shortener, similar to services like bit.ly. The purpose of the URL Shortener is to provide easy-to-remember links for print materials. Shortened links work well for URLs that change often, maintaining consistency.
To create a shortened link
- Go to https://dashboard.uwplatt.edu/admin/my-shortener
- Login using your NETID and password.
- Enter in your link in the "Link URL" field and click Shorten.
This will produce a link for you to use with a random string at the end. ( )
- Your links will appear below in a list. NOTE: You may have to refresh your browser by pressing ctrl+F5 for the new link to appear.
- You can Edit the link to change its location or delete the link completely. ( You cannot manage URLs created by other people )
NOTE: Your links will need to be renewed on an annual basis. You will receive an email 30 days, 10 days and 1 day prior to the links deletion.
- To renew a link, click Renew next to the link. It will be renewed for another year.
- If you require links that don't expire, please send a request to https://dashboard.uwplatt.edu/request-form
To create a customized URL
- Enter in your link to the "Link URL" field and click Link Options.
- Add your customized URL and click Shorten.
- This URL shortener is only available to employees of UW-Platteville and is not available to students at this time.
- The links created are monitored by Marketing and ITS and are subject for review.
- If links created are thought to be inappropriate, they will be deleted without notice and may result in a report to the supervisor of the person who created them.
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 608.342.1400 or email@example.com. You may also visit the Help Desk on the first floor of the Karrmann Library.