Topics Map > Campus Services
Topics Map > OS & Desktop Software
Topics Map > Network Connectivity
Topics Map > Security
Topics Map > Hardware
Guide for Using Campus Resources Remotely
A guide to general technology resources available to students and employees who need to work from off campus.
- Office 365 - Managing Forwarding Settings in Outlook Web App (OWA)
- Office 365 - Logging Into your OWA Account
- Requirements: Client and internet access; uses data that may incur charges by your provider
- Platteville campus employees, contact the ITS Help Desk to get started at 608.342.1400. Be prepared with this information:
For University computer: Name/username and office extension
- For cell phone: Name/username, office extension, and type of phone (Android or iPhone)
- [Link for document 98965 is unavailable at this time.]
- Unified Communications - Mobility FAQ
Forwarding your University phone to another number
- Unified Communications - Forwarding your Cisco phone includes instructions for removing a forward from your phone
- Unified Communication - Voicemail FAQ
- Unified Communications - How to Reset your Voicemail Pin - Web
- Unified Communications - Changing Voicemail PIN (Phone)
- Unified Communication - Setting Up & Accessing Voicemail (includes accessing remotely)
- Unified Communications portals: campus.uwplatt.edu/go/uc
- Skype for Business (client or Office 365 OWA) -- with other Office 365 users
- Jabber -- with other Jabber users (see documentation above)
Remember to follow these guidelines when choosing where to store University data
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Requirements: Internet access
- NOTE: VPN was enabled on March 13. If your laptop has not been to campus since that date, you will need to bring it to campus so it can connect to the network and install the application.
- Requirements: Internet access and VMware client
- Virtual Desktop - Installed Software
- Virtual Desktop - What is it and why should I use it?
- Virtual Desktop - FAQ
- Virtual Desktop - Getting Started in Virtual Labs
- Virtual Desktop - Installing VMware View Client - Mac
- Virtual Desktop - Installing VMware Horizon View Client - Windows
- Virtual Desktop - Installing VMware View Client - Android
- Virtual Desktop - Reporting an Issue
Storage on the Go
- Storage - Accessing Storage on the Go
- Online Storage - Map a drive via SMB (Mac OS X)
- Storage - Download a file in Storage on the Go
- Storage - Download a Directory in Storage on the Go
- Storage - Delete a File in Storage on the Go
- Storage - Move a File to a Folder in Storage on the Go
- Storage - Delete a Folder/Directory in Storage on the Go
- Storage - Upload a file in Storage on the Go
- Storage - Delete Multiple Files in Storage on the Go
Mapping a storage drive
- Requirement: Internet access.
- Requirements: Internet access, membership granted by organizer
- Microsoft Support: https://support.office.com/en-us/Teams
- Requirements: Internet access
- Office 365 - Accessing OneDrive
- Office 365 - Creating a new file in OneDrive
- [Link for document 44400 is unavailable at this time.]
- [Link for document 49381 is unavailable at this time.]
- [Link for document 49332 is unavailable at this time.]
- Office 365 - Connect OneNote for Windows 10 to OneDrive for Business Notebooks
- Microsoft Support: https://support.office.com/en-us/onedrive
Skype for Business Online
- Office 365: Joining a Skype for Business Meeting
- Skype for Business Quick Start Guide - Meetings
- Skype for Business Quick Start Guide - Sharing and Collaboration
- See above for documentation
Tips for running a video conference
- VPN -- using a University-issued device, seamless access to campus software; no login required. See notes above.
- Virtual desktops: common lab, office software (see above for documentation)
- Office 365 downloads--free for all employees and students to download to personal devices
- Faculty and instructional staff who need a device in order to work from home should contact their department chair or dean, who will contact ITS.
- Non-instructional employees who need a device in order to work from home should contact their supervisor, who will contact ITS.
- Other equipment is available on a limited basis. See Policy: Equipment Checkout .Contact the ITS Help Desk at email@example.com or 608.342.1400.
- For University-issued devices, hot spot capabilities are possible for a monthly fee. Contact your supervisor for approval and send the request to the ITS Help Desk.
- For personal devices, hot spot capabilities vary by device and plan; data charges may apply. Contact your personal carrier for more information.