Topics Map > Security
NetID and Password - Password Requirements & Expiration
All the requirements for UW-Platteville account passwords and notification of passwords which are about to expire.
What are the requirements of my NetID password?
- Passwords are case sensitive
- Must be at least 8 characters long.
- Must be no more than 24 characters long.
- Must include at least 1 uppercase letter [A-Z].
- Must include at least 1 lowercase letter [a-z].
- Must include at least 1 number [0-9].
- NetID passwords MUST NOT contain any of the following:
- Your first name, your last name, or your NetID.
- The same character repeated more than 3 times consecutively.
- A previously used password.
- Parenthesis ( )
- Minus sign (-)
- NetID passwords will expire and must be changed every 180 days.
Password Expiration Notification:
- An e-mail notification will be sent to your UW-Platteville e-mail address 10 days, 5 days, and 1 day before your password expires. The e-mail will have a subject of "UWP NetID Password Expiration Notification" and will not contain any links. This e-mail notification will be sent until your password is changed or expires. If your password has not been changed by the expiration date, your account will be inaccessible.
- You are encouraged to change your password before it expires in order to avoid disruption of access to University services. Passwords can be changed anytime at http://www.uwplatt.edu/go/password
- On the day that your password expires you may be notified via the login window that your password has expired and you need to change it. You can update your password at this time, or use password self service to change your password. You will have 6 grace logins which will allow you to change your password once it has expired.
- If you allow your password to expire and you have used all your grace logins, you can reset your password by using the Password Self Service system. You will need the correct answers for the five challenge and response questions you previously answered in order to reset your expired password. If you are unable to answer your questions, you will need to visit your distributed IT support person, the Help Desk, or ResNet in person with your campus ID or another photo ID to have your password reset.