Topics Map > Security
Topics Map > OS & Desktop Software > Windows
File and Print Sharing - How to disable
How to remove file and print sharing in Windows 7
- Go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center and click the link for "Local Area Connection" or "Wireless Network Connection"
- Click the "Properties" button.
- Highlight "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and click the "Uninstall" button.
- Confirm the uninstall by clicking the "Yes" button.
- Click the "Close" button on both the "Local Area Connection Properties" and "Local Area Connection Status" dialog boxes.
What is Microsoft File and Print Sharing?File and printer sharing is the part of Microsoft networking that enables you to share files and local printers with other users on small networks.
Why remove Microsoft File and Print Sharing?If this service is enabled on your Windows computer and you are connected to a Local Area Network (LAN) you are allowing others to connect to your computer and access your files and printer. While you can setup passwords to protect your files and printers when using this service, you should know that passwords can provide a false sense of security. It is possible for someone to guess your password, or run a program to try all possible passwords. If a user on the network gains access to your computer, they may have access to all of your personal information stored on your hard drive. Also, with remote access a malicious individual can use your computer to spread viruses or even become a launching pad for attacks on other computers or networks. A much better security practice is to remove File and Print Sharing.
Due to the above issues, it is the policy at UW-Platteville that File and Print Sharing be REMOVED on all Windows computers.