Topics Map > Policies
Topics Map > Campus Services > Printing
Policy - Student Printing Policy and Procedures
Updated student printing policy and procedures effective Fall 2015. Updated November 2016
Student Technology Advisory Committee (STAC)
9 November 2015
*NOTE: A new print policy was adopted in the Fall of 2015. The new policy provides a $3.00 printing allotment per student per fall and spring term. When a student's $3.00 allotment is used, subsequent print charges will be taken from the student's Pioneer Passport fund according to the pay scale in #3 below as jobs are printed. Students will start over at the beginning of each term with a new $3.00 allocation. Unused allocations will not be carried over from term to term.
- Each student will receive an allocation each spring and fall semester for printing. The allotment is $3.00 per student.
- Students printing in computer labs and at the front desk of any residence hall will be charged a per-page cost for printing. (Exception: Student employees will not be charged for work-related printing on print devices in department offices.)
- Per-page print costs are as follows:
- Printing to a black and white printer - $.04/page
- Printing duplex to a black and white printer - $.03/page (save $.02)
- Printing to a color printer - $.10/page
- Printing duplex to a color printer - $.08/page (save $.04)
- ITS will provide a website that will allow students to view their print balance and print history: https://campus.uwplatt.edu/go/printbalance.
- ITS will use technology such as print clients in computer labs to notify students of print job costs and print balances. Students will also see a pop-up when logging into any campus lab computer. The print balance displayed will be a combination of the printing allocation ($3.00) and the student’s Pioneer Passport account.
EXAMPLE: At the beginning of a semester, if a student’s balance shows $103.00, this would include the $3.00 printing allocation and indicate the student has $100.00 on his/her Pioneer Passport account.
- ITS will use print release stations in high volume printing labs to help reduce unwanted print jobs that waste paper and resources.
- Once the printing allocation is used up, print charges will be pulled from the student's Pioneer Passport account. Students are responsible for adding money to their Pioneer Passport account. This can be done in the Pioneer Passport Office (Markee Pioneer Student Center) or online using eAccounts (https://campus.uwplatt.edu/go/passport).
- Print charges collected are used to pay the actual costs related to computer lab printing (toner and paper in general access labs). Page costs will be evaluated once a year and adjusted to cover actual expenses. Paper in department labs is funded by the associated department.
- Refunds are available under the following circumstances only:
- Student releases a print job that does not print, or the job prints incorrectly due to malfunctioning equipment, such as a paper jam
- Refund will be provided in the form of printing credit.
- Printing credits will be reset at the start of each term.